Cell phone questions

Description of your first forum.
Mark

Cell phone questions

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:33 am

I'm not one of these that has to have the latest whiz bang phone to show everybody how hip I am. I use my phone for phone calls, texting, email, and a handful of apps. The apps I have are used mostly for ordering food and listening to SiriusXM or Pandora.

My current phone is about 5 years old and is Android-based. I am happy with it. However, It is stuck on Android 8.something, and it appears will never be updated again. The Android operating system is now up to version 14. Some of my apps are beginning to shut down because the operating system is so old, so I am forced to start thinking about a new phone.

If I buy a new phone, it will be a budget model, probably for $200 or less. It certainly won't be the latest and greatest thing that costs over 2 grand. Most of the phones in this budget price range do not have gorilla glass on the screen.

My question: Has anybody here ever had a phone without gorilla glass? If so, how well did it hold up? I despise screen protectors with a passion, and I will not use one.

Sangersteve

Re: Cell phone questions

Postby Sangersteve » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:11 am

We are not hard on phones, my personal experience goes all the way back to a Motorola bag phone.

Donna was cleaning out drawers the other day, of the 3 she found not a one had even a scratch on the screen.

All of that said I would suggest exploring the refurbished market.

A quick look found several under 200 bucks with gorilla glass and android 12.
It's a joke son,I say a joke

Mark

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:23 am

My carrier is T-Mobile. I've been looking around on their website at what they have for sale. They've got a Nokia G310 for $168. It has Gorilla glass and also includes a 3.5mm headphone jack, which most new phones no longer have. I've been looking at reviews of this phone, and they are generally very good. One thing that has been noted is that the phone has been designed to be taken apart and repaired, which tells me it should be viable for years.

The Nokia ships with Android 13. I haven't found much about upgrades yet, but I would assume most apps will support 13 for a number of years.

My current phone is a Blackberry Key2LE, made by TCL. I love it because it has a physical keyboard. The only other options available now with a physical keyboard are a couple of phones made by Unihertz. I've focused on on the Unihertz Titan Slim. It appears to be a decent phone, but it's more in the $300 range, and IIRC correctly, the updates for it only go to Android 11. As much as I'd love to get that keyboard, I don't believe this phone is the answer for me. I don't do well with touch screen keyboard, but I guess I'm going to have to learn.

Mark

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:30 am

Personal opinion: Apple and Samsung just rip consumers off.

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:51 pm

I have a Samsung. It's OK but my number somehow got out and I started getting spam calls, up to 20-30 a day. Drove me nuts. So, I had to change my number. That was a pain in the ass because a lot of places that needed my number didn't have it anymore. But, at least I have peace and quiet again. :roll:
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

Mark

Postby Mark » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:05 am

planosteve wrote:I have a Samsung. It's OK but my number somehow got out and I started getting spam calls, up to 20-30 a day. Drove me nuts. So, I had to change my number. That was a pain in the ass because a lot of places that needed my number didn't have it anymore. But, at least I have peace and quiet again. :roll:

You can't hide from the telemarketers. Virtually everybody business that gets your number will sell their customer info lists to the telemarketers.

My policy is that I never answer the phone if I don't know who is calling.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:01 pm

Mark wrote:
planosteve wrote:I have a Samsung. It's OK but my number somehow got out and I started getting spam calls, up to 20-30 a day. Drove me nuts. So, I had to change my number. That was a pain in the ass because a lot of places that needed my number didn't have it anymore. But, at least I have peace and quiet again. :roll:

You can't hide from the telemarketers. Virtually everybody business that gets your number will sell their customer info lists to the telemarketers.

My policy is that I never answer the phone if I don't know who is calling.

Ditto

Return to “Your first forum”