Cursive handwriting

Description of your first forum.
LibraryLady

Cursive handwriting

Postby LibraryLady » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:49 am

> What’s Lost as Handwriting Fades
>
> Even as the emphasis shifts to the keyboard, experts say that learning to write by hand improves motor skills, memory and creativity.
>
>http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/03/science/whats-lost-as-handwriting-fades.html

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

Sloanmiester

Re: Cursive handwriting

Postby Sloanmiester » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:09 am

In academic circles, the argument is cursive v printing.

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:17 am

If a person's "signature" is printed--wouldn't that make it very difficult to identify forged signature?

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

marti

Postby marti » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:04 am

Legible handwriting is essential. I know a man who didn't get a promotion because his handwriting was illegible.

Orphie

Postby Orphie » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:23 am

I have to sign for stuff all day. One of the delivery girls asked me if I ever signed twice the same way. I said NO!!! That way it cannot stand up in a court of law.
She enjoys watching me sign now. I spent 30 years doing everything short hand for my eyes only and my own short hand language (which I called job security) . Then to the computer.
but now I'm having to learn to write again just a little bit. It's not going well !
Zephyr thinks he's smart. He said onions are the only food that makes him cry. So I threw a coconut at his face.

Gopher

Postby Gopher » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:33 am

I tend to block print my work tickets and notes just for clarity. I do still write checks and an occasional card or letter.
When I do write cursive I usually use a fountain pen. It forces me to slow down and write much larger than I would with an ink pen. Todays pens are not the messy things we used to use and fountain pens are cool. :lol:

Some of the cheaper pens here are quite nice as far as something disposable goes.

http://www.jetpens.com/Fountain-Pens/ct ... so=1&ip=24
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Stand on it till you smell stink!

FlashM

Postby FlashM » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:55 pm

Drawing is a good alternative way to increase your dexterity and probably the best way to teach children fine motor skills. I teach drawing at the elementary age. Children are still being taught cursive in third grade and are very proud to show it off. Some of my students are very eager for me to write their names in cursive and they often learn to copy the examples within a few classes.

When I've clerked for elections at the community colleges, I'm often intrigued that young people have questions about how to sign their names. Sometimes, older folks have tremors and apologize to me for their signature's illegibility. I joke with them that it's like the Old West of the movies and they can just do the "make your mark" "X", or whatever.

I don't think anybody even routinely verifies signatures for legal purposes nowadays, do they? Maybe a computer program is used in real high profile murders or forensics, but I'll wager handwriting verification has gone the way of buggy whip manufacturing, too.

I'm a big fan of handwriting and hand lettering, as well as typography and have done a little professional calligraphy. Incidentally, there isn't much work for calligraphers these days, as collaborated by another pro (The Left Handed Calligrapher in Plano) that virtually no one can make a full time living as a calligrapher except for the one who has an exclusive for the White House.

Even when I do get a wedding invitation job, I find the results are lost on most people of youthful age because because they don't realize it's handwritten, just assuming it's done by a laser printer or heat-set offset printer, if it's raised. I think I sent the last copperplate-engraved wedding invitations I ever saw. When they find out it's handwritten, they tell me they're flabberghasted.
Closing Time. Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Return to “Your first forum”