Cowboys Thread

Description of your first forum.
crocmommy

Cowboys Thread

Postby crocmommy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:24 am

Maybe we can just use this thread every week for anyone who wants to comment. It will be interesting to see everyone's comments and predictions after the season is over. I have to admit, I had pretty much given up on them and figured the Rams were going to win. Wasn't going to waste two more hours of my life on it. I had pretty much decided not to get so hung up on watching them this year. That being said, I would check the score from time to time and finally decided to watch with about 6 minutes left. I'm glad they pulled it out. Now they only have to win 6 more games to meet their 8-8 season....

planosteve

Re: Cowboys Thread

Postby planosteve » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:42 am

I turned it off at halftime. Laid down and took a nap. Didn't realize until this morning that they won the game! I missed probably one of the best halves they ever played! :evil:
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

kent

Postby kent » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:04 am

I still say 10-6

I'm going to have to stay out of these discussions here and on FB. People just love to bitch about the Cowboys. And there is NO WAY you can be a fan of the cowboys and Rangers....at least from Rangers' fan's POV. So....I'll choose the Cowboys.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:09 am

kent wrote:I still say 10-6

I'm going to have to stay out of these discussions here and on FB. People just love to bitch about the Cowboys. And there is NO WAY you can be a fan of the cowboys and Rangers....at least from Rangers' fan's POV. So....I'll choose the Cowboys.

Huh?

I'm more of a Rangers fan now. Years of losing and having to listen to Jerry Jones have worn my patience thin. But I still consider myself a fan of both.

Mark

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:06 pm

That's simply not true. I am a big fan of both teams, but I also reserve the right to complain loudly when one of my teams doesn't make an honest effort to win. Making an honest effort to win includes having a competent front office and competent coaching. I was openly hostile toward the Hicks/Hart/Showalter regime when to controlled the Rangers, and am now equally hostile toward the Jones regime with the Cowboys. This team badly needs a GM, and sustained success will never occur until they get a competent NFL GM. That is my opinion, and I have 18 years of results on my side of the argument. You may have a different opinion, and that is fine.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:33 pm

Mark wrote:

That's simply not true. I am a big fan of both teams, but I also reserve the right to complain loudly when one of my teams doesn't make an honest effort to win. Making an honest effort to win includes having a competent front office and competent coaching. I was openly hostile toward the Hicks/Hart/Showalter regime when to controlled the Rangers, and am now equally hostile toward the Jones regime with the Cowboys. This team badly needs a GM, and sustained success will never occur until they get a competent NFL GM. That is my opinion, and I have 18 years of results on my side of the argument. You may have a different opinion, and that is fine.

Don't think you have to be a sheeple to be a fan. I'm surprised the Cowboys still sell as many tickets as they do with all the losing years. People will not vote with the feet I guess with the Cowboys. They sure do with the Rangers.

Twiggler

Postby Twiggler » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:53 pm

Just can't believe how you defend Romo & Jones.....no matter what.

Cowboys will always be my team....but its not life or death anymore. The older I get the less time I have for them.

kent

Postby kent » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:42 pm

Romo sucked in the first game, not denying it. He won the game for them yesterday too. He has the most come back wins in Cowboys history.

Everyone says that Jerry is the only ones making the picks - unless the player is good. They make up stories about him yanking the name from Stevens hand on the way to the podium - forgetting that they weren't in NY. Oh, if Jerry made all the picks JFF would be here. He listenes to his staff, just like most GMs do. I greee with his own assessment, C. there isn't a person in the organization who wants to win more than Jerry. I know no one will give him credit, but he was GM when they won 3 Super Bowls. Jimmy didn't have success after he left either.

As for the Rangers, I despised the Childs and Hicks years and the butt kissing the writers did here. Loved it when Rose and W bought the team and really cared. Hart was a disaster. JD was OK when he first came in, but Nolan was also here - it worked. Now JD is running everyone off. Can't stand the guy. Free agents aren't going to come here, there's always an excuse. The A's don't make excuses; the Cardinals don't make excuses, they both just win. The Rangers will draw their 2-3 million and the writer will be preaching sunshine and roses. They have an ace (hopefully his arm will be OK), and Holland (what will you get next year?). I love Beltre and the prospect of Odor. Thought Profar would be fine, but he has to hit. There's a loooong way to go.

kent

Postby kent » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:57 pm

contrary to what most think, it's not a birth right for the Cowboys to win the Super Bowl. If it's so easy, why doesn't Denver, or New England, or Seattle, or Green Bay, or San Francisco, or New Orleans, or ___________ win it every year. yeah, that's right, there are a lot of very good teams. Get in the tournament, that's all you need. One game away each season. At least it's within reach.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:48 pm

kent wrote:Romo sucked in the first game, not denying it. He won the game for them yesterday too. He has the most come back wins in Cowboys history.

Everyone says that Jerry is the only ones making the picks - unless the player is good. They make up stories about him yanking the name from Stevens hand on the way to the podium - forgetting that they weren't in NY. Oh, if Jerry made all the picks JFF would be here. He listenes to his staff, just like most GMs do. I greee with his own assessment, C. there isn't a person in the organization who wants to win more than Jerry. I know no one will give him credit, but he was GM when they won 3 Super Bowls. Jimmy didn't have success after he left either.

As for the Rangers, I despised the Childs and Hicks years and the butt kissing the writers did here. Loved it when Rose and W bought the team and really cared. Hart was a disaster. JD was OK when he first came in, but Nolan was also here - it worked. Now JD is running everyone off. Can't stand the guy. Free agents aren't going to come here, there's always an excuse. The A's don't make excuses; the Cardinals don't make excuses, they both just win. The Rangers will draw their 2-3 million and the writer will be preaching sunshine and roses. They have an ace (hopefully his arm will be OK), and Holland (what will you get next year?). I love Beltre and the prospect of Odor. Thought Profar would be fine, but he has to hit. There's a loooong way to go.

Attendance is way off at the Ballpark from what I've seen.

At this point with the Cowboys, I'd like to see more than one playoff game every several years or so. A Super Bowl is not something I even wish for anymore....

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:02 pm

Not to diminish Romo the last game, but it was amazing to watch Payton Mannings touchdown drive and 2 point conversion to send the game into overtime. Unfortunately, the Denver defense didn't do their part to win the game.
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

Mark

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:11 pm

crocmommy wrote:
Mark wrote:

Don't think you have to be a sheeple to be a fan. I'm surprised the Cowboys still sell as many tickets as they do with all the losing years. People will not vote with the feet I guess with the Cowboys. They sure do with the Rangers.

Judging from the look of the bleachers at the San Francisco game, he is selling more tickets to out-of-towners than he is to northeast Texas residents.

I'm sure Jerry Jones doesn't care who buys the tickets, as long as they get bought. That's bad news for local fans that want a winning team.

Mark

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:12 pm

kent wrote:Romo sucked in the first game, not denying it. He won the game for them yesterday too. He has the most come back wins in Cowboys history.

I don't care who is on the staff of the Cowboys. There isn't a GM, and that will always be a problem.

kent

Postby kent » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:21 pm

this town is full of transplants. The last two road games have been 50/50 Cowboys fans. If I had tickets to a game and could make a $100 or so, I would sell them too.

bodine

Postby bodine » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:54 pm

I don't feel like Jerry's primary interest is the product on the field, which lately has been subpar. He is all about promoting everything Cowboy that can make his $$$..

And my personal feeling is that dynamic, proven coaches will not work for him. Jason Garrett may have been a heck of a qb coach; and an ok offensive coordinator. But I don't think he was ready to be a head coach.

kent

Postby kent » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:25 am

but when he went 13-3 people were clamoring for Jerry to sign him to a long-term contract so he wouldn't go to the Redskins or Eagles or 49ers.

I don't think he's a head coach either, BTW. Nice guy, but not great judge of talent. He may be able to find the guys who fit the Ivy LEague level of talent - Rudy types - but he doesn't go for the types of players the Seahawks have - aggressive, hard hitters.

A lot of people thought Singletery was great, where is he now? Harbaugh's team is turning on him. Chip Kelly has worn thin. Not many get the respect of these players. Belicek does whatever it takes to get the job done. Can't sand the cheater. Cower, Gruden, Dungee, etc. they can all talk a good game now, they make great money behind the mic.

It's hit or miss (mostly miss) with coaches now. I'm not a Garrett fan, but who do you get?

The Seahawks are the flash in the pan now, will they sustain it? They are beatable. Heck, everyone is beatable this year. The Eagles may be 3-0, but they had to come back against JAX and the Redskins.

The draft experts thought Claiborne was a "can't miss". Looks like they were wrong. Thought Jerry was dumb for taking Murray. Looks like they were wrong.

At least they have moved past the hamstring issue so far. Now it's the groin.

bodine

Postby bodine » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:39 am

Armchair GMs are always going to go with the front runners...

This has got me thinking about coaching trees. Is there an active coach who can be tied to Tom Landry? I think the most successful Landry disciple was Dan Reeves; I'm not sure if Mike Ditka was more a Landry guy or a Halas guy. Who were other Landry players / coaches who went on to other successes?

kent

Postby kent » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:15 am

Didn't Stautner get a gig for a year? I think you're right, Reeves and Ditka are the only ones who come to mind.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:26 am

Sad news about Max Morgan passing away yesterday. Sounded like a good guy...and only 59.

bodine

Postby bodine » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:45 am

kent wrote:Didn't Stautner get a gig for a year? I think you're right, Reeves and Ditka are the only ones who come to mind.

Wiki is my friend...

He coached at Denver for 4 seasons under Reeves and Wade Phillips; and then was the head coach of the Frankfurt Galaxy of NFL Europe for three seasons.

Wiki says that Charlie Waters was an NFL coach, culminating as the DC at Denver for two seasons in 1993 & 1994. He also coached at the University of Oregon.

Return to “Your first forum”