are TRACFONES any good

Description of your first forum.
ralph

are TRACFONES any good

Postby ralph » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:00 pm

I only had a cell phone once for a few months , got rid of it maybe 6 years ago , didn't make sense to me to have one but now I'm thinking about getting one . Are TRACFONES any good , I figure that I'll use it maybe 5 minutes a month for 1 or 2 calls . I have a house phone for everything else. So , I'm thinking the cheapest model[10 to 15 dollars] that's pretty much just a CELLPHONE although it does have an [unneeded camera] . Looking for advice , information or thoughts about TRACFONE .

Dancer

Re: are TRACFONES any good

Postby Dancer » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:18 pm

The only Cell-Phone I have ever used. Love it!! My latest is an LG Android something or other that triples time and texts every time I add time. It will do internet and all that, but I don't use any of it. Last time I checked balance, I had 900+ minutes of talk time, and about 1100 texts left. Check the website as they have all kinds of deals on good dependable phones. Oh, and the service time on mine will run out sometime in 2020 so the use it or lose it deadline is not a problem.

Sangersteve

Postby Sangersteve » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:20 pm

Best I can tell Tracfone use's At&t or T-Mobile as a carrier, and their phones are good.
It's a joke son,I say a joke

ralph

Postby ralph » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:32 pm

hey Thanks guys , I think your phones are the higher end phones though . I'd like a flip phone which are like 9.99 and 14.99 . Does it make sense that their cheap phones are alsp pretty good ? Course , I could buy a higher cost phone and just never use the stuff that I don't care about . Yeah , TRACFONE seems the way to go for me . Are cases made for phones that have no flip top ??

Sangersteve

Postby Sangersteve » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:52 pm

A case will probably cost more than an inexpensive, see I didn't say cheap phone. Pick out your phone model then do a google search for a case for that model.

Case's are very model specific due to the placement of the various buttons.

Dancer

Postby Dancer » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:59 pm

ralph wrote:hey Thanks guys , I think your phones are the higher end phones though . I'd like a flip phone which are like 9.99 and 14.99 . Does it make sense that their cheap phones are alsp pretty good ? Course , I could buy a higher cost phone and just never use the stuff that I don't care about . Yeah , TRACFONE seems the way to go for me . Are cases made for phones that have no flip top ??

Yes, I found one at wal mart for mine. It clips on my belt, has a velcro closure, is padded and cost me around 13 dollars. As far as the phones go, I have had no problems with the ones I have had and really like the one I use now. IMO, the website may have a better deal on some models.

GRANDPA

Postby GRANDPA » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:50 pm

I have a Tracphone I still use occasionally when I don't have service or a signal on this one. I get triple minutes every time I buy new minutes. It makes phone calls, text & takes pictures, but not video.You could go online, but that really eats up the airtime. I only tried that a couple of times. I'd recommend it if all you want to do is make phone calls. I think I paid about $14 for it.
I feel like I'm parked diagonally in a parallel universe.

ralph

Postby ralph » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:04 pm

geez thanks , lottsa help . Plus I was talking to a guy in the store a bit ago . He talks good news same as you guys so I'thing that I'll probably get the 10 or 15 dollar flip top models . Once again , thankyou guys !!

GFB

Postby GFB » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:38 pm

Ralph, you seem to spend a good amount of time online.

Why not consider a smart phone?

Lots of the people that own them nowadays are usually using them for something other than talking on the phone.

I use mine all day long..GPS.. finding locations.. reading reviews on a yelp..posting here.,listening to any radio station I want to the world over..googling..checking and answering e-mail..checking the stock market in real time..receiving important data in real time with texting...it hoes on and on..

And I don 't particularly like talking on the phone.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

ralph

Postby ralph » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:02 pm

thanks GFB , thing is that other than a computer I really don't know much about smartphones and other technology . Does Tracfone make them as I like the idea of just paying as you go . I don't want any contracts or monthly payments . I'll go checkout their website again ,

GFB

Postby GFB » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:43 pm

ralph wrote:thanks GFB , thing is that other than a computer I really don't know much about smartphones and other technology . Does Tracfone make them as I like the idea of just paying as you go . I don't want any contracts or monthly payments . I'll go checkout their website again ,

Not sure if any tracfones offer what smart phones do, but if you don 't want any monthly payments, you're right, you don't want anything like an IPhone.

But remember, none of us knew anything about them until we jumped in with both feet.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

BillB

Postby BillB » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:47 pm

Get you one of these. It's the only kind of phone I have.
I've never missed a call I wanted.
Attachments
302.jpg
302.jpg (8.56 KiB) Viewed 2024 times

ralph

Postby ralph » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:32 am

I like it Billb , that's all I ever needed , I just want a cell that I can carry in my back pocket and that's the reason for a FLIP type phone . I don't want to dial by mistake so that's the WHY for the FLIP PHONE . Main thing for me is the ability to just stop using it with no payments accruing plus then being able to reactivate it if I want . Mine was similar to yours but was beige and was pushbutton , my old boss gave it to me , it was an old hotel room bedside table telephone . I got it in about 86 and used it for quite a long time . I only use a phone very sparingly .

Sangersteve

Postby Sangersteve » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:55 am

Our ring was one long and two shorts

FlashM

Postby FlashM » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:51 pm

We find Virgin Mobile Paylo to be a very good deal. If you don't make a lot of calls, it's about $6 a month for voice and texting. My phone was $10 at Target, on sale.

I pay in $20 every 90 days for .20 a minute for voice; .15 for texts and the minutes accumulate as long as you do so. I have probably accumulated all I will ever need.

virginmobileusa.com
Closing Time. Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

BillB

Postby BillB » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:07 pm

Sangersteve wrote:Our ring was one long and two shorts

I never had that kind of community dial system, but my grandparents did. It was an oak cased magneto phone that hung on the wall with a crank on it to ring out.
Our first phone that I remember was a two-party line. It had split ringing so only the called party's phone would ring.
There were still 16 party lines in rural areas when I went to work for Bell. They finally all came out in the late 70s or early 80s.

Return to “Your first forum”