Expelled Students in OK were from Dallas

Description of your first forum.
planosteve

Expelled Students in OK were from Dallas

Postby planosteve » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:22 am

Two students from the Dallas area caught in a racist fraternity video at the University of Oklahoma are devastated by their actions, according to apologies issued Tuesday.

Parker Rice, 19, a graduate of Jesuit College Preparatory School in Dallas, and the parents of Highland Park High School graduate Levi Pettit, 20, admitted the students had been wrong to join other Sigma Alpha Epsilon members in a chant that included racial slurs and references to lynching.

The separate apologies acknowledged that the chant had demeaned others and the students themselves.

“It was wrong and reckless,” Rice said in a written statement. “For me, this is a devastating lesson, and I am seeking guidance on how I can learn from this and make sure it never happens again. My goal for the long term is to be a man who has the heart and courage to reject racism wherever I see or experience it in the future.”

Brody and Susan Pettit, the parents of the former Highland Park golfer, said they were “shocked and saddened” by the video, which surfaced online this week.

“He made a horrible mistake and will live with the consequences forever,” they said in a written statement. “While it may be difficult for those who only know Levi from the video to understand, we know his heart, and he is not a racist. We raised him to be loving and inclusive, and we all remain surrounded by a diverse, close-knit group of friends.”

Pettit, who graduated in 2013, played on the Highland Park golf team. In 2013, Pettit and his teammates won the school’s first state title since 2009, taking the 4A crown by 25 strokes.

Rice, a 2014 graduate, played football at Jesuit. In the 2013 season, he was nominated for all-district in District 9-5A as a defensive back.
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20150310-dallas-area-students-caught-in-racist-frat-video-apologize.ece
"Nice little Jewish community you got here"-Arab world to Nut Job 8-)

millergrovesue

Re: Expelled Students in OK were from Dallas

Postby millergrovesue » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:00 am

"mistake"???????????? No, it was a horrible choice and there is absolutely no excuse for it. I would have thrown every participant out of school. And three cheers for the person who finally recorded and made public the disgraceful behavior. The entire fraternity, nation wide, should be shut down forever.

It's really hard to shock me but I am absolutely shocked and sickened that, in this century, there are young people who believe this behavior is acceptable.
Working to love my fellow person regardless : >

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:02 am

And, in my book, calling a clear decision to do something repulsive a "mistake" is dismissive. In the same category as "I'm sorry if you were offended." Translation: I'm sorry I got caught and am having to do this.

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:28 am

millergrovesue wrote:And, in my book, calling a clear decision to do something repulsive a "mistake" is dismissive. In the same category as "I'm sorry if you were offended." Translation: I'm sorry I got caught and am having to do this.

And what does freedom of speech have to do with anything anyway?

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:40 am

millergrovesue wrote:"mistake"???????????? No, it was a horrible choice and there is absolutely no excuse for it. I would have thrown every participant out of school. And three cheers for the person who finally recorded and made public the disgraceful behavior. The entire fraternity, nation wide, should be shut down forever.

It's really hard to shock me but I am absolutely shocked and sickened that, in this century, there are young people who believe this behavior is acceptable.

How is your shock and sickness over a student that was recorded issuing a gay slur and then hitting a woman so hard that she suffered a fractured jaw, a broken cheek bone, a broken nose, and a fractured orbital bone?

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:03 am

BigTex wrote:
millergrovesue wrote:"mistake"???????????? No, it was a horrible choice and there is absolutely no excuse for it. I would have thrown every participant out of school. And three cheers for the person who finally recorded and made public the disgraceful behavior. The entire fraternity, nation wide, should be shut down forever.

How is your shock and sickness over a student that was recorded issuing a gay slur and then hitting a woman so hard that she suffered a fractured jaw, a broken cheek bone, a broken nose, and a fractured orbital bone?

Sorry I don't agree with shutting down the whole fraternity over this. Maybe this chapter but not the whole frat. Not right to all the alumnae and members who haven't been in trouble. These org's also do good things, but no one ever hears about it.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:14 am

crocmommy wrote:
BigTex wrote:

Sorry I don't agree with shutting down the whole fraternity over this. Maybe this chapter but not the whole frat. Not right to all the alumnae and members who haven't been in trouble. These org's also do good things, but no one ever hears about it.

Problem is, as I understand it, this "song" is sung at most all the fraternity chapters through the U.S. That's why I'd shut 'em all down.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:16 am

planosteve wrote:
millergrovesue wrote:And, in my book, calling a clear decision to do something repulsive a "mistake" is dismissive. In the same category as "I'm sorry if you were offended." Translation: I'm sorry I got caught and am having to do this.

And what does freedom of speech have to do with anything anyway?

We're talking about a fraternity and students who are under the authority and rules of the university. Not a freedom of speech issue any more than school students lack of "rights" when it comes to refusing locker searches.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:18 am

BigTex wrote:

Well, I believe that would be a criminal offense............and yes, it's disgusting behavior.

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:21 am

If they had just used "Negra" they would have been OK. They could have explained that they were from Texas.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:40 am

millergrovesue wrote:
BigTex wrote:

Well, I believe that would be a criminal offense............and yes, it's disgusting behavior.

The same David Boren suspended a football player for beating his girlfriend unconscious. Boren said: "The University is an educational institution, which always sets high standards that we hope will be upheld by our students. We hope that our students will all learn from those standards, but at the same time, we believe in second chances so that our students can learn and grow from life's experiences."

John in Plano

Postby John in Plano » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:49 am

The criminal offense resulted in a plea agreement.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/db086879 ... -probation
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:53 am

Sorry I don't agree with shutting down the whole fraternity over this. Maybe this chapter but not the whole frat. Not right to all the alumnae and members who haven't been in trouble. These org's also do good things, but no one ever hears about it.[/quote]

Problem is, as I understand it, this "song" is sung at most all the fraternity chapters through the U.S. That's why I'd shut 'em all down.[/quote]

Well, I was in a sorority and never heard anything about it. We sang some dirty songs but never anything racial like that. In 1981 at UNT, the blacks had their sororities and frat's and we had ours. Not sure if any of them were ever interested in joining ours. Now my sorority has members of all races in the chapters I've seen. Not sure about our large chapter down at UT.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:11 am

I should have clarified. It is my understanding that the "song" is sung at most chapters of that particular fraternity, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, throughout the country. That's why I think that particular fraternity should have all its chapters shut down - not all fraternities. 'Course now the fraternity is attempting to distance themselves from the OU chapter.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:14 am

John in Plano wrote:The criminal offense resulted in a plea agreement.

Bet it wouldn't have been plea bargained if he hadn't been a football player. This is a young man who will be eventually headed to prison (or so we can hope) if those in charge continue making light of his problems.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:16 am

So who has more explaining to do - an 18 year old college freshman or a university president?

I know which one I pick.

ralph

Postby ralph » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:23 am

mighta been nasty but no one was pummeled . hanged or physically harmed . What ever happened to 'sticks and stones yada , yada , yada but names and words will never hurt me ?? Where is Freedom of Speech although as some kinda university they might have some kind of [weasel] rule .

John in Plano

Postby John in Plano » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:58 am

millergrovesue wrote:
John in Plano wrote:The criminal offense resulted in a plea agreement.

Bet it wouldn't have been plea bargained if he hadn't been a football player. This is a young man who will be eventually headed to prison (or so we can hope) if those in charge continue making light of his problems.

I agree.

John in Plano

Postby John in Plano » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:02 pm

ralph wrote:mighta been nasty but no one was pummeled . hanged or physically harmed . What ever happened to 'sticks and stones yada , yada , yada but names and words will never hurt me ?? Where is Freedom of Speech although as some kinda university they might have some kind of [weasel] rule .

Those idiots are paying for exercising their right to Free Speech.

Just like OU is exercising its right to toss them off campus.

I'm never ceased to be amazed at how some people believe the 1st adm protects an individual from personal and or professional repercussions when they say stupid things.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:15 pm

So which is more likely to happen - that this football player will injure or kill someone or that frat boy will lynch a . . .

Return to “Your first forum”