Listen up, Txdigest members

Description of your first forum.
Bob Of Burleson

Listen up, Txdigest members

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:02 pm

Back when I was in the reporting game, I used to brag that with just a few questions I could tease out a good human interest story from just about anyone. Let's see if I still have the touch.

Greg From Burbank: During your world travels, what's the oddest thing that ever happened to you?

Dancer: What's the funniest thing you ever saw on the road as a professional truck driver?

Kevin McCarthy: Did you ever have a guest that said something that left you absolutely speechless?

Ryan: What's the most outlandish thing that ever happened to you during a cook-off?

Chronos: What made your mouth fly open during a visit to one of your apartments?

Grassman: What's the most contrary piece of lawn equipment you ever had the misfortune to own?

Darth Penguin: Do you see people in figures?

Andy: Did you ever pop a pun that you thought was going to get you punched in the nose?

Geeiabil: How close did you get to East Berlin when you were stationed in Germany during the Cold War?

Stanwood: Round or square containers... Which holds the most trouble?

Kathy: Did you ever have someone fall asleep during an interview?

Big Tex: What professional occupation would you choose the second time around?

Red Oak: Has one of your hunting trips been so calamity prone that it was practically humorous?

Grassman

Re: Listen up, Txdigest members

Postby Grassman » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:37 pm

Mine was a piece of crap John Deere push mower that cost nearly $1000 and lasted about six months, and they wouldn't warranty it. Why they would put plastic self propel gears mated up to brass gears is beyond me.

Jami

Postby Jami » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:44 pm

Bob of Burleson only asked one female a question. I think we just found out that BoB is sexist. :lol:

Dancer

Postby Dancer » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:14 pm

One of the funniest things was on snow here in Texas. Some nut in a U-Haul got sideways and spun 3 or 4 times then landed on the roof or said Rental Truck. No harm, no foul but a stiff fine for being stupid. And an insurance claim, I suspect. California, maybe 30 yrs ago, an Idiot Trucker comming out of Bakersfield couldn't get stopped for the scales and was chased down by CHP. The rest I would have to PM You cause I can't post THOSE THINGS here.

Bob Of Burleson

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:20 pm

Jami wrote:Bob of Burleson only asked one female a question. I think we just found out that BoB is sexist. :lol:

Addendum

Jami: Do you still hang out in restrooms with men?

:D

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:33 pm

Well there was the time my Son in Law shot me.

I am a never Hillaryite!

Bob Of Burleson

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:38 pm

Dancer wrote:One of the funniest things was on snow here in Texas. Some nut in a U-Haul got sideways and spun 3 or 4 times then landed on the roof or said Rental Truck. No harm, no foul but a stiff fine for being stupid. And an insurance claim, I suspect. California, maybe 30 yrs ago, an Idiot Trucker comming out of Bakersfield couldn't get stopped for the scales and was chased down by CHP. The rest I would have to PM You cause I can't post THOSE THINGS here.

Sure you can. Just don't be explicit.

Grassman

Postby Grassman » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:06 pm

Red Oak wrote:Well there was the time my Son in Law shot me.

On purpose? :D

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:37 pm

[quote="Bob Of Burleson"][b]Back when I was in the reporting game, I used to brag that with just a few questions I could tease out a good human interest story from just about anyone. Let's see if I still have the touch.

Big Tex: What professional occupation would you choose the second time around?

Probably technical writing. If I had only seen the grammatically challenged techno-geeks coming . . .

Dancer

Postby Dancer » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:45 pm

Bob Of Burleson wrote:
Dancer wrote:One of the funniest things was on snow here in Texas. Some nut in a U-Haul got sideways and spun 3 or 4 times then landed on the roof or said Rental Truck. No harm, no foul but a stiff fine for being stupid. And an insurance claim, I suspect. California, maybe 30 yrs ago, an Idiot Trucker comming out of Bakersfield couldn't get stopped for the scales and was chased down by CHP. The rest I would have to PM You cause I can't post THOSE THINGS here.

Sure you can. Just don't be explicit.

I'll work on that, not tonight though, gotta be up too early.

Cowman52

Postby Cowman52 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:50 pm

I thought we were in for a trip to the woodshed!

GFB

Postby GFB » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:07 pm

Greg From Burbank: During your world travels, what's the oddest thing that ever happened to you?

I was taken hostage in Caracas, Venezuela in the early 1990s.

As I and two other band members were attempting to leave that country by air..guards just took us aside and eventually took us back to our hotel and were disallowed to leave it.

We had no idea what happened, and no way at that time to contact the others, who had passed through and made it home.

..we found out 4 days later..while finally on a plane home..it was all about concert promoters that had not paid some taxes..and until they were paid..we weren't leaving.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:13 pm

Grassman wrote:
Red Oak wrote:Well there was the time my Son in Law shot me.

On purpose? :D

No by negligence - he was worse of than I was.

I am a never Hillaryite!

Jami

Postby Jami » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:20 pm

Bob Of Burleson wrote:
Jami wrote:Bob of Burleson only asked one female a question. I think we just found out that BoB is sexist. :lol:

Addendum

Jami: Do you still hang out in restrooms with men?

:D

Only if there's a line at the women's restroom. :D

geeiabil

Postby geeiabil » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:53 am

Somewhere I have some photos of Checkpoint Charlie and also a bridge with guards at either end out near Flughafen Tegel. Tegel was in the French sector. I also rode the U-Bahn under East Berlin. Had I been pulled off that train, it would have been a diplomatic incident as you were supposed to detour around the two or three stops the train made there. Nobody got on or off and there were several classically dressed Russian guards at each of those stops. It might be the most scared I've ever been.
Tea + Water = Tea
Tea + Water + Sweetener = Sweet Tea
Any other designation is redUNdant

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:05 am

GFB wrote:Greg From Burbank: During your world travels, what's the oddest thing that ever happened to you?

As I and two other band members were attempting to leave that country by air..guards just took us aside and eventually took us back to our hotel and were disallowed to leave it.

We had no idea what happened, and no way at that time to contact the others, who had passed through and made it home.

..we found out 4 days later..while finally on a plane home..it was all about concert promoters that had not paid some taxes..and until they were paid..we weren't leaving.

Wow. My dad's family lived in Caracas for a number of years (my dad had just graduated from high school and was in college in Texas). That sounds like the kind of thing my grandfather described happening in Bogata in the 50s/60s.

Ryan

Postby Ryan » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:28 am

Lord I would not even know where to start. I am sure Steve could chime in.

One of the funniest was when we had a hotel room in Irving, overlooking the cookoff. Me and Vixter ran back to the hotel to grab our luggage.

We "thought" we had time before check out, and decided to take advantage of the situation. Needless to say we didn't, and the rough looking MALE housekeeper walked in on us. He ran out of the room, and a few minutes later the front desk called to inform us we needed to check out.

In Terrell, Chloe bolted out of Steve's camper and took off down the road. We were stumbling around a graveyard, drunk, looking for a German Shepard at 3 AM. She was back at the cook off with some drunk people playing poker.

Got into some pretty big bets at them. I won all of them except one.

Something always seems to happen at a cook off.

GFB

Postby GFB » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:36 am

jellowrestling wrote:
GFB wrote:Greg From Burbank: During your world travels, what's the oddest thing that ever happened to you?

Wow. My dad's family lived in Caracas for a number of years (my dad had just graduated from high school and was in college in Texas). That sounds like the kind of thing my grandfather described happening in Bogata in the 50s/60s.

I had trouble in Bogota, also..a few years earlier. I wasn't taken hostage, but I was disallowed from leaving the country, all because someone, upon entry to Columbia, had stamped my passport wrong.

Everyone else got on the plane ok, I had to stay in Bogota two more days to get that problem straightened out. It was a lonely couple of days.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

zoomzoomklunk

Postby zoomzoomklunk » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:40 am

geeiabil check your PM
Another day in paradise

Return to “Your first forum”