I'm getting too old to do this stuff

Description of your first forum.
Sangersteve

I'm getting too old to do this stuff

Postby Sangersteve » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:31 pm

About three months ago the shop fridge left to go live at my daughters house. Before it left we went and bought a replacement ( everyone needs three ice boxes), while we were there Donna mentioned how bad shape the dishwasher was in, so we bought one of those as well.

I successfully avoided installing the dishwasher for lo those three months, my luck ran out last week. The garbage disposal crapped out and I knew it was time to pay the piper. So yesterday I bought the new grinder and this morning I started.

A rather unique drain issue exists under our kitchen sink, you see some years back I added a 5 gallon water heater under there so we wouldn't have to wait 10 minutes for the hot water to get from the east side of the house to the west side. Well of course all of that had to go.

Next out the disposal, well it was pre-twist ring so the entire sink basket had to go, that was fun. Ah finally the dishwasher. Did I mention the wonderful aroma of drains?

Now back together.

Shoved that puppy in the whole and in mere microseconds I noticed you can't access the rear leveling screws with it in the hole. Pulled it back out, guessed at the height of the feet, shoved it back in, nope still not tall enough. Pulled it back out, raised it just a bit more, shoved it back in, OK thats pretty good, pulled it back out and put the fill and drain hoses on and shoved it back in, oops should have positioned the drain in the middle, pulled it back out, move the drain hose, shove it back in. Viola! looks, good raise the front levelers, screw the clips into the counter and done. Not so fast there skippy, Donna says "Whats this?", oh nothing just the insulating, sound deadening blanket, pullled it back out.

The rest of it went pretty well, only one trip to the big orange box for some changes to the water supply and plumbers putty ( which I know I have a container of, just can't find it).

The up and down, laying on my back, swiveling on my butt so many times I'm thinking of installing casters has taken it's toll. Even my earlobes hurt. Nothing more tonight but beer, recliner, and if my arm would move that way, patting myself on the back for a job well done. Well it's done, and so am I.
It's a joke son,I say a joke

grouchy

Re: I'm getting too old to do this stuff

Postby grouchy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:55 pm

It makes my back and knees hurt just reading about it.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:00 pm

This is why God invented plumbers.

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:14 pm

BigTex wrote:This is why God invented plumbers.
Well yes, but then there are plumbers and there are plunderers. I ran into the latter recently.
My 3 year old toilet started leaking for a couple minutes after it shut off. So, I bought a Korker at Lowe's for $12 bucks. I had installed one in the wife's bathroom a few months ago. When I tried to install it I ran into a problem. I needed to remove the bowl first. But, I had a "deal" from Angie's List, a plumbing service call for $20. So, I decided to have them do it. They showed up and look it over and said they didn't think it would would work, no reason given. They asked the model of the toilet and went to the truck. Came back a few minutes later and said they just happened to have one that would work. And they would be glad to install it for $177! I told them to take a hike. The toilet still leaks.
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:34 am

It's not easy being the husband. You have my sympathy, Steve.

Fortunately Bob does these things at our house. I've noticed the grunting and groaning are lounder and longer the past few years. But he's a biker so his legs and knees are in far better shape than mine.

We have an under the sink reverse osmosis filter because our water tastes like the ocean. Everything he does with that filter - including changing out the 2 cartridges twice a year - requires upside downing under the cabinet. All I can do is congratulate him on a job well done and hand over a cold beer.
Working to love my fellow person regardless : >

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:53 am

Steve was going to fix the downstairs bathroom sink. It was epic! At that time, he had a very loud truck. My next-door neighbor and best friend was laughing so hard. He made so many trips to the big orange box. The further he got into it, the more pipes and things needed replaced. If you're going to do it, do it right is his motto. Judy and I were in hysterics. And then Judy (who just had to come over and join in) said "Oh my gosh! Gary wouldn't have even attempted that and we'd have had a very big pluming bill." I said "But you'd have saved a bunch on gas!"

tx3653

Postby tx3653 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:17 pm

I gave up plumbing work many years ago after dropping a big wrench on my head as I laid under a kitchen sink trying to undo a pipe connection to a disposer. Since that day anything that needs to be installed and has a water connection involved comes into my house with an installation contract. I figure it's cheaper that way than it is to pay my medical bills from whatever would happen if I tried to install it. Injury, high blood pressure, heart attack, depression. I don't do plumbing but I bet the plumber couldn't install a new hard drive in his computer either.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:49 pm

tx3653 wrote: I don't do plumbing but I bet the plumber couldn't install a new hard drive in his computer either.

I was just telling yet another client, who was bemoaning his computer ignorance, I couldn't guide him to the best Crappie hideout. We all have our talents and abilities. Heck, plumbers need to make a living too. :)

Twiggler

Postby Twiggler » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:34 pm

I have installed hundreds of dishwashers back in the 80's. I replaced ours here at the house about 6 months ago.

They have changed quite a bit. No more simple installations. And yes i hurt for close to 2 weeks after.

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:49 pm

Nothing like living in an Old House, you start fixing a leaky pipe, and thirty minutes later you are digging with a sharpshooter.

I am a never Hillaryite!

Bob Of Burleson

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:50 pm

We replaced our water heater last week. It was worth every cent of the 600 smackers ride-out that we paid to watch two guys who knew what they were doing install it right.

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:52 pm

Damn was that the water heater and the labor, or just the labor ?

I am a never Hillaryite!

Twiggler

Postby Twiggler » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:15 am

Bob Of Burleson wrote:We replaced our water heater last week. It was worth every cent of the 600 smackers ride-out that we paid to watch two guys who knew what they were doing install it right.

Spent last Saturday in my continuing education class for plumbers. Be glad you changed now. In the coming months i heard, water heaters are going to be up to 2 inches taller and wider. This will
cause a boat load of problems for current and older houses. Hell they barely fit in the door now.( all thanks to federal regulations on energy conservation)

Also i would say 600 is a bargain. Plumbers there were throwing around the price of 900 to 1600 to replace a water heater.

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:23 am

I get disgusted every time I think about our hot water heater. Ours went out, Steve went to buy another one. He "thought" I wouldn't be able to help carry it in the house so paid for installation. I did have some back problems (just a strain from trying to act like I was 30 again). What a boondoggle! Who knew you needed a permit for a stupid how water heater? Well, the plumber knew we needed a permit. I couldn't believe it. So, OK. the plumber comes and installs the water heater BUT we have to have an inspector approve it. Welllllll, we've been re-doing the kitchen and Steve installed all new wiring and lights. Uh, we probably needed big brother's permit for that. I'm devious so, I decided that the inspector wasn't going to come in through the kitchen. My explanation was that our Great Pyrenees (125lb) and mixed breed aggressive dog were in the kitchen. They, yes, they went around and came in through the garage. But they could certainly hear the dogs and the big one hit the door (It's a swinging door) but it was blocked. Well, two came...one inspected and the other held the flashlight. But they didn't go through the kitchen! All told, it cost us $ 800.00

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:40 am

Twiggler wrote:Spent last Saturday in my continuing education class for plumbers. Be glad you changed now. In the coming months i heard, water heaters are going to be up to 2 inches taller and wider. This will
cause a boat load of problems for current and older houses. Hell they barely fit in the door now.( all thanks to federal regulations on energy conservation)

Oh my! There is absolutely no way a bigger water heater would fit in that closet. The rest of it is taken up by the a/c unit.

PlanoSooner

Postby PlanoSooner » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:03 pm

Better Ingredients..... Better Moderators....

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:54 pm

Neat but it wouldn't get you under the kitchen sink.

Return to “Your first forum”