Vegetable preferences

Description of your first forum.
grouchy

Vegetable preferences

Postby grouchy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:27 am

I like vegetables, eat a lot of them. The only type I never eat are brussel sprouts.
What about you?

millergrovesue

Re: Vegetable preferences

Postby millergrovesue » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:36 am

I've never had a brussel sprout that wasn't bitter. I raised them in my own garden one year - bitter.

The worst? Beets! Nasty, nasty taste like dirt.

I like a pretty good number of vegetables. My favorites are probably corn, asparagus, cabbage, carrots, almost any kind of lettuce, and sweet peas right out of the garden (haven't had those in many years).
Working to love my fellow person regardless : >

Kiamichi

Postby Kiamichi » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:57 am

I am squeamish when it comes to eating exotic things in the animal kingdom but there is no vegetable or plant food I strongly object to. I guess beets would be at about the bottom of my preferences, though.

ralph

Postby ralph » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:16 pm

all the greens are excellent , Italian green beans like Roma pole or bush are great , same for brussel sprouts , all picked fresh and ok frozen . When the garden is growing I like crooked necked yellow squash . We grow our own of everything and that includes salad greens , sweet peas of many varieties , kale , spinach , red beet tops [favorite] , swiss chard . Also a meat and cooked whole grains with gravy or seasonings kinda guy . Everything as fresh as possible but frozen is ok , same as dried or canned are ok !!

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:00 pm

I never liked brussel sprouts, but ate them since my husband likes them. And then, we were invited to a chef's home for Thanksgiving dinner. I was amazed that my son and I were fighting over the brussel sprouts! They were sautéed and absolutely delicious. I know he used butter but I don't know what else. In fact, yesterday my son called and asked how Ted made them. His girlfriend was coming for dinner and he wanted to make them. I told him he'd have to call Ted. But I think I'm going to try sautéed kale, too. I'll eat beets, but they're not a favorite. I haven't ever had parsnips. I like cauliflower made like mashed potatoes since I don't like potatoes. I love celery! I'm good with almost all veggies.

ralph

Postby ralph » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:06 pm

parsnips are ok , I like them wicon or bacon grease . Kinda , a little sweet but good . We grow them a little bit .

BillB

Postby BillB » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:04 pm

Fresh tomatoes and cabbage family vegetables are my favorites- that takes in Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, turnips etc.
I like them all. I even like beets, including beet greens. I can do without celery and carrots, but I will eat them.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:52 pm

BillB wrote:Fresh tomatoes and cabbage family vegetables are my favorites- that takes in Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, turnips etc.
I like them all. I even like beets, including beet greens. I can do without celery and carrots, but I will eat them.

I would have listed tomatoes first but I think they are really a fruit. LOVE tomatoes!

Ann, I'd love to know how your chef made brussels sprouts edible. I've cooked them with butter but that didn't do the trick. They are so cute but so nasty tasting.

Only thing beets are good for is including in horse feed. Used to be the Brits were the only ones feeding beets. Now they are in many pelleted feeds.

Celery it good for seasoning soups etc. I have no use for it by itself.

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:31 am

This chef co-owns two restaurants in Rockwall. When they invited us for Thanksgiving, I told my son "I don't even know them." Well, the chef told me "I slept in your bed." WHAT?!?!? Oh, he took his family to our place in Port Aransas for
vacation. This was his thank you and what a thank you it was! He made a special dinner for my birthday, ending with
hummingbird cake. I'll ask him what else went in that pan the next time I see him. He might tell me. The strange thing is that my girlfriend and her husband went to the other restaurant. The waiter was reciting the menu and suggested the brussel sprouts. They got them as a side. They loved them and ordered more. The waiter had said that his mother always wants him to bring some home. Joyce said "Now I know why!"

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:13 am

I like most veggies....carrots, green beans, potatoes, cabbage, cooked celery, broccoli, asparagus etc. Not a fan or beets, radishes or greens.

I forgot squash of any kind. Probably my favorite now that I think about it.
Last edited by crocmommy on Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:14 am

ann jusko wrote:This chef co-owns two restaurants in Rockwall. When they invited us for Thanksgiving, I told my son "I don't even know them." Well, the chef told me "I slept in your bed." WHAT?!?!? Oh, he took his family to our place in Port Aransas for
vacation. This was his thank you and what a thank you it was! He made a special dinner for my birthday, ending with
hummingbird cake. I'll ask him what else went in that pan the next time I see him. He might tell me. The strange thing is that my girlfriend and her husband went to the other restaurant. The waiter was reciting the menu and suggested the brussel sprouts. They got them as a side. They loved them and ordered more. The waiter had said that his mother always wants him to bring some home. Joyce said "Now I know why!"

Anyone who can make people order a second helping of brussel sprouts must be a very good chef.

PlanoSooner

Postby PlanoSooner » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:06 pm

love veggies.... dont get enough as we are always on the go
Better Ingredients..... Better Moderators....

Return to “Your first forum”