Okay, ya wanna talk disgusting?

Description of your first forum.
millergrovesue

Okay, ya wanna talk disgusting?

Postby millergrovesue » Wed May 13, 2015 3:04 pm

My BIL (lives in Austin) shared an article this morning about all the specialty grocery stores in Austin; stores that cater to immigrant cultures. He and my sis shop regularly in some of the stores. They have much more adventurous palates than we Boonie-ites. One of the things he mentioned was seeing packages of fresh duck tongues in the meat section of some Asian markets. Okay -- YUCK! Has been on my mind all day.............yes, I get bored coding my little brains out all day behind this computer. So I finally had to look it up.

What's the strangest thing you've eaten? For me it would have been chocolate covered ants. I was very young and dumb at the time.

"For lovers of the delicacy, the question as to what makes the organ so prized is a no-brainer. Surrounded by a faint hint of meat and papery thin layers of cartilage, duck tongue is predominately a vehicle for juicy pockets of fat. At barely two inches in length, the tongue may seem small and insubstantial, but its flavor is intensely ducklike. When freshly fried, duck tongues are positively addicting with a crisp surface and a creamy, slightly fatty interior that melts in your mouth.

Unlike that of mammals, the avian tongue possesses a bone that runs throughout the middle of the organ. And, instead of being covered on top in taste buds, tiny papillae protrude on either side of the tongues. While the tongue of cows and pigs are muscle meat, varying only somewhat in texture from the flesh on bones, the tongues of ducks bear no resemblance to duck meat."

Looks ALMOST edible.................ALMOST. YUCK!
Attachments
20091013-duck-tongue-cooked.jpg
20091013-duck-tongue-cooked.jpg (53.13 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
Working to love my fellow person regardless : >

Jami

Re: Okay, ya wanna talk disgusting?

Postby Jami » Wed May 13, 2015 9:07 pm

I've had beef tongue...only once, never again. Probably the strangest thing I ate that I liked was mountain oysters.

I grew up seeing all kinds of strange things that my parents ate. Brains and eggs, kidney stew, sweetbreads, pickled pigs feet, etc. Pity the poor turtle that ventured into their yard, Turtle Soup that night.

GFB

Postby GFB » Wed May 13, 2015 9:29 pm

Jami wrote:I've had beef tongue...only once, never again. Probably the strangest thing I ate that I liked was mountain oysters.

I grew up seeing all kinds of strange things that my parents ate. Brains and eggs, kidney stew, sweetbreads, pickled pigs feet, etc. Pity the poor turtle that ventured into their yard, Turtle Soup that night.

I really can't say I've had too much weird stuff.

I did eat Camen a couple of years ago in Bolivia.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Wed May 13, 2015 11:28 pm

Kami I have always wanted to try turtle soup. Karen and I both ate sweetbreads
when we were kids. She still occasionally cooks them.

I as a little ashamed to admit that I have eaten both horse and mule.
It was on an Apache reservation in southern New Mexico. More than
once. Believe it or not, it was good.

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Wed May 13, 2015 11:29 pm

grouchy wrote:Kami I have always wanted to try turtle soup. Karen and I both ate sweetbreads
when we were kids. She still occasionally cooks them.

I as a little ashamed to admit that I have eaten both horse and mule.
It was on an Apache reservation in southern New Mexico. More than
once. Believe it or not, it was good.

Kami was supposed to be Jami

geeiabil

Postby geeiabil » Thu May 14, 2015 12:20 am

I had a gästhoff dinner at a town called Wasserkuppe, not too far from the Fulda gap in Germany. They said the dressing served with dinner included white mice as an ingredient. That same area, because it is nice smooth rolling hills was where the Luftwāffe trained many glider pilots between WW1 & WW2.
Tea + Water = Tea
Tea + Water + Sweetener = Sweet Tea
Any other designation is redUNdant

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Thu May 14, 2015 6:21 am

I had forgotten that I did have mountain oysters once. Heck it was breaded and fried so tasty. Oh, and tried scrapple in Philadelphia. Oh my goodness, it's as nasty as it sounds.

I haven't eaten turtle soup but watched my sister eat it on the same Philadelphia trip.

Oh, and then there was ostrich eaten in the Canadian Rockies. The meat was too dark for my taste............and very bloody.

Can't imagine ever knowingly eating any equine or canine. I think I'd starve first.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Thu May 14, 2015 7:19 am

BTW I've always heard that horse meat is sweet. Was it?

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Thu May 14, 2015 10:21 am

I've eaten eel at a Korean food restaurant. I could eat it again but not something I'd go back to order.

GFB

Postby GFB » Thu May 14, 2015 10:29 am

crocmommy wrote:I've eaten eel at a Korean food restaurant. I could eat it again but not something I'd go back to order.

I've eaten eel plenty of times because it's common at Sushi bars..didn't consider that weird..but, yeah..I guess it is.

GFB

Postby GFB » Thu May 14, 2015 10:30 am

Come to think of it, I ate Camel in Saudi Arabia.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Thu May 14, 2015 11:20 am

Yuck and Yuck! I can't imagine wanting to eat anything that looks like an eel or a camel.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Thu May 14, 2015 11:38 am

GFB wrote:
crocmommy wrote:I've eaten eel at a Korean food restaurant. I could eat it again but not something I'd go back to order.

I've eaten eel plenty of times because it's common at Sushi bars..didn't consider that weird..but, yeah..I guess it is.

It's the only possible weird food I could come up with. I won't do liver, gizzards, brains, etc.

Jami

Postby Jami » Thu May 14, 2015 4:56 pm

millergrovesue wrote:I had forgotten that I did have mountain oysters once. Heck it was breaded and fried so tasty. Oh, and tried scrapple in Philadelphia. Oh my goodness, it's as nasty as it sounds.

I haven't eaten turtle soup but watched my sister eat it on the same Philadelphia trip.

Oh, and then there was ostrich eaten in the Canadian Rockies. The meat was too dark for my taste............and very bloody.

Can't imagine ever knowingly eating any equine or canine. I think I'd starve first.

I like ostrich meat, didn't consider that disgusting. LOL. I also love raw oysters.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Thu May 14, 2015 5:11 pm

Jami wrote:I like ostrich meat, didn't consider that disgusting. LOL. I also love raw oysters.

I think the biggest problem with what I had was it was nearly raw. I guess I thought that was how it was supposed to be prepared..........and I'm not much of a restaurant complainer.

Raw oysters? Snot with grit. I've always wondered is it the taste of the oysters people like or is it the stuff that is put on top of the oysters? 'Cause I've mostly seen them slurped and swallowed whole.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Fri May 15, 2015 9:25 am

millergrovesue wrote:
Jami wrote:I like ostrich meat, didn't consider that disgusting. LOL. I also love raw oysters.

I think the biggest problem with what I had was it was nearly raw. I guess I thought that was how it was supposed to be prepared..........and I'm not much of a restaurant complainer.

Raw oysters? Snot with grit. I've always wondered is it the taste of the oysters people like or is it the stuff that is put on top of the oysters? 'Cause I've mostly seen them slurped and swallowed whole.

I've done the raw oyster thing just to shut my husband up that I wouldn't do that. I don't see any reason to continue eating them. Last father's day, our two girls both tried to eat one for him. The oldest managed to eat one, but my 7 year old gagged on them. I told her to give it up.

GFB

Postby GFB » Fri May 15, 2015 9:33 am

I don't get the raw oyster thing either..very uninteresting and tasteless.

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Fri May 15, 2015 5:58 pm

millergrovesue wrote:BTW I've always heard that horse meat is sweet. Was it?

Yes it is. I would never buy it or cook it at home. I was the guest of a man who was a
guide on an Elk hunt up by Chama, NM. We got along real well and he invited me
to come and meet his family down on the southern side of New Mexico.

ralph

Postby ralph » Fri May 15, 2015 6:20 pm

Scrapple is excellent , there is even the Scrapple song . --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08iJW-7xIzk ---

Return to “Your first forum”