Irritating Ads

Description of your first forum.
BillB

Irritating Ads

Postby BillB » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:38 am

I'm very much influenced by TV and radio commercials in that I will quit using a company in a minute if their ads and marketing jargon irritate me.

There is a Sonic around the corner from me I have been using for years, at least twice a week. No more, since they began the commercial with those two guys sitting in a car. I drive an extra mile and go to Whataburger.

I boycott any company that uses the word "brand" to mean anything other than a product sold off of a shelf.

Same with any company that uses "reimagined" in its ads.

Ditto any company that uses "powered by" in its ads or description.

I'll think of more- those are the big ones.

ralph

Re: Irritating Ads

Postby ralph » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:47 am

I generally go where it is cheapest , usually the dollar menu for me if that still exists . 3 - 4 dollar burgers at Buger king , onions only with extra onions . Or 6 tacos at Jack in the Box for 3 bucks . Course , haven't had fast food in over a year as we haven't traveled anywhere . Advertising is a waste of money when it comes to influencing me .

Jim Jack

Postby Jim Jack » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:59 am

I am the same way about irritating ads. I am afraid that we may be in the minority, though.

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:12 pm

ralph wrote:I generally go where it is cheapest , usually the dollar menu for me if that still exists . 3 - 4 dollar burgers at Buger king , onions only with extra onions . Or 6 tacos at Jack in the Box for 3 bucks . Course , haven't had fast food in over a year as we haven't traveled anywhere . Advertising is a waste of money when it comes to influencing me .

Not sure about that..advertising seems to work on you. It just needs to be advertising about low prices.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:23 pm

The Sonic guys are the worst. I haven't watched an ad since they started. L-A-M-E

I will also quit buying products if the ads are offensive enough.

These are senseless "Cab forward" "Find new roads" "We are professional grade"
Working to love my fellow person regardless : >

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:59 pm

My dislikes.
#1 Clay Cooley
#2 Milestone Electric
#3 ABC Pest Control.

crackertoes

Postby crackertoes » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:38 pm

grouchy wrote:My dislikes.
#1 Clay Cooley
#2 Milestone Electric
#3 ABC Pest Control.

Agree on #1. For some reason, my Creep antenna goes up big time when I see him.

Also don't like ads where people yell or point at the screen - lots of car ads do that.

I like the Farmer's ads where they "educate" the person on what they think they're covered for. Hope they get some new versions of those soon... they're funny! :D
Some coffee cups are just too small.Image

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:49 pm

Maybe because I have 4 children (now grown) I can tune commercials out very well. I learned to turn out bickering among the kids and guess I just transferred that to commercials. Much as I like the idea of Whataburger (started in Corpus Christi) I don't actually like Whataburger food.

But I do agree with the irritation of Clay Cooley. That probably started with Car Guy (Carpro guy) and it has stuck with me.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:53 pm

Think I may have posted this before and I'm sure you have all seen it but I love this commercial http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7aer/geico-free- ... oy-orbison

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:43 pm

No TV commercials make me very mad. What does is getting telephone calls. The worst one by far is AT&T. I get a call almost every day, sometimes 2. And I'm on the Do Not Call List. I have recently gotten very abusive with them. But, it doesn't seem to do any good. At least they usually don't call Sundays.
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:26 pm

crackertoes wrote:
grouchy wrote:My dislikes.
#1 Clay Cooley
#2 Milestone Electric
#3 ABC Pest Control.

Agree on #1. For some reason, my Creep antenna goes up big time when I see him.
:D

Hate those 3 also....and I agree 100% on the creep factor for Clay Cooley.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

BillB

Postby BillB » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:35 pm

The Bless Your Heart guy.
Oily.
He irritates me so much I never even noticed what he advertises.

glenn/dallas

Postby glenn/dallas » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:20 pm

"ralph" 6 tacos at Jack in the Box for 3 bucks .

I cannot image how scrumptious a .50 cent taco must be. Just dont tell me whats in it please.
Your a Brave man Ralph

BillB

Postby BillB » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:02 pm

glenn/dallas wrote:"ralph" 6 tacos at Jack in the Box for 3 bucks .

I cannot image how scrumptious a .50 cent taco must be. Just dont tell me whats in it please.
Your a Brave man Ralph

Did you ever see a stray dog around a Jack in the Box?

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:04 pm

They probably sell them as fast as they can make them after midnight.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:18 am

Flo! Creepy woman.

Speaking of women - that woman who does Standard Insurance commercials. How has she managed not to age over the last 30+ years??? I lived in Dallas briefly in the early 70s. I swear she was doing Standard commercials on the late movie. Or was it the late late movie? Or was it the late great movie?

RedEye

Postby RedEye » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:44 am

i can deal with the television ads by just flipping the remote or turning the dam thing off. What really is beginning to bug me is the phone calls. I'm so tired of getting the solicitations from the NRA on my phone. It's always someone in a near panic about something the government is about to do and I need to send them more money to fight it.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:54 am

RedEye wrote:i can deal with the television ads by just flipping the remote or turning the dam thing off. What really is beginning to bug me is the phone calls. I'm so tired of getting the solicitations from the NRA on my phone. It's always someone in a near panic about something the government is about to do and I need to send them more money to fight it.

Hate those kinds of calls. And you have no protection from "non profits". I don't give 'em a chance. As soon as they use the apparently mandatory line "How are you today?", which is a dead give away that it's a solicitation phone call, I tell 'em we are not interested and hang up. Wish I could screen calls but our home phone is also our business phone.

Jim Jack

Postby Jim Jack » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:46 pm

millergrovesue wrote:Flo! Creepy woman.

Speaking of women - that woman who does Standard Insurance commercials. How has she managed not to age over the last 30+ years??? I lived in Dallas briefly in the early 70s. I swear she was doing Standard commercials on the late movie. Or was it the late late movie? Or was it the late great movie?

You are right, she has been on forever.

She is aging gently, but they are going to some effort to hide aging, too. Was it last year they had her wearing a baseball cap, pretending to pitch? I cracked up at that one.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:50 pm

I'm thinking she must have been about 16 when she started doing those commercials. Wish I had aged that well. :?

Return to “Your first forum”