Just remembering

Description of your first forum.
truep

Just remembering

Postby truep » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:45 pm

1967-68, sitting in a tower at a Nike site in Germany (Charlie Woods, Home of the Mountain men), and hearing the Moody Blues on a British pirate station . Loved it! ! My favorites were Knights in white satin, Question, and Isn't life strange. Got a CD on right now!

bodine

Re: Just remembering

Postby bodine » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:07 pm

Back when Nike meant missile, not a shoe company gone wild...

GFB

Postby GFB » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:13 pm

..never knew it had another meaning.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

Jim Jack

Postby Jim Jack » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:28 pm

There is one of those Nike sites just north of Denton. Old-timers call FM 2164 "Missile Base Road," even though the missiles were removed in the late 1960s.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:44 pm

You can't believe the fuss people in Denton are making about the tunnels they have "discovered."

Sorry to be boorish, truep, but it's Nights in White Satin (MB-one of my favorite bands)

geeiabil

Postby geeiabil » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:10 am

Would that have been Radio Luxembourg? I used to listen to them at night on the old, even then, Hammarlund SP-600 mounted in our monitor console. The only DJ I can remember is Tony Blackburn.
Tea + Water = Tea
Tea + Water + Sweetener = Sweet Tea
Any other designation is redUNdant

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:32 am

Nike base just outside of Austin in the 60s. Wonder what became of the hole/holes.
Working to love my fellow person regardless : >

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:17 am

Interesting....I know pretty much nothing about this.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:01 am

crocmommy wrote:Interesting....I know pretty much nothing about this.

Missles in the ground and bases around them in certain parts of the country as first defense against communists trying to drop a bomb on us. I always wondered why Austin was chosen as one of those spots. I guess because of the proximity of Bergstrom AFB on the other side of town.

bodine

Postby bodine » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:29 pm

IIRC, there was a base in Duncanville, too. Now it is a city park and where city offices are.

At some point in time, somebody realized that Soviet missiles would target our missile bases, and therefore, putting our missile bases next to population centers was not a wise idea. That's why our current missile bases are in places like North Dakota...

Upon further research, the Duncanville base was primarily an air defense radar base, with surface mounted Nike (anti-aircraft) missiles.

Can't find anything online that says ICBMs were anyplace in Texas except at Dyess AFB, in Abilene. But that doesn't mean that facilities weren't built...

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:52 pm

My late F-I-L worked constructing a whole lot of Atlas Missile bases across the Great Plains and South West.

I am a never Hillaryite!

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:53 pm

bodine wrote:IIRC, there was a base in Duncanville, too. Now it is a city park and where city offices are.

At some point in time, somebody realized that Soviet missiles would target our missile bases, and therefore, putting our missile bases next to population centers was not a wise idea. That's why our current missile bases are in places like North Dakota...

Upon further research, the Duncanville base was primarily an air defense radar base, with surface mounted Nike (anti-aircraft) missiles.

Can't find anything online that says ICBMs were anyplace in Texas except at Dyess AFB, in Abilene. But that doesn't mean that facilities weren't built...

There were six or seven different Silos in about an 80 mile radius of Dyess, IIRC.

I am a never Hillaryite!

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:40 pm

Here's a link to a site that gives short mention to the Nike base in Austin. Interesting to me that it's still basically intact. http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WME7 ... _Austin_TX

BillB

Postby BillB » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:48 pm

In the 70s there was a plan to take the missiles out of the silos and put them on traveling railroad cars so they couldn't be targeted.. I think it was called the MX Missile.
Jimmy Carter killed it.

bodine

Postby bodine » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:14 pm

Red Oak wrote:
bodine wrote:IIRC, there was a base in Duncanville, too. Now it is a city park and where city offices are.

There were six or seven different Silos in about an 80 mile radius of Dyess, IIRC.

Scroll down and it lists where all the silos were; I bet you know where all these are...

I sure do..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/578th_Strategic_Missile_Squadron

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:20 pm

BillB wrote:In the 70s there was a plan to take the missiles out of the silos and put them on traveling railroad cars so they couldn't be targeted.. I think it was called the MX Missile.
Jimmy Carter killed it.

Now THAT I do remember...

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:24 pm

bodine wrote:
Red Oak wrote:

Scroll down and it lists where all the silos were; I bet you know where all these are...

I sure do..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/578th_Strategic_Missile_Squadron

Neat map, my wife as a youngster lived on Lake Ft Phantom Hill, while her dad worked on the Silos; long before I ever met her.

I am a never Hillaryite!

Return to “Your first forum”