About Those Atheists

Description of your first forum.
Castle Doctrine

About Those Atheists

Postby Castle Doctrine » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:36 am

So, Sue, I promised to tell you why I don't really believe in atheists. While my theory is based in science it is my own based on my observations and my own experience trying to be an atheists. I see two main factors. The first has to do with core personality components and how and when they are formed. Let's restrict the discussion to America of today to simplify things. A bit over 70% of Americans identify as Christian and virtually everyone has SOME sort of spiritual bent.

So, you get borne into this society where the belief in the existence of a God or Creator is a core belief deeply imbedded into every aspect of daily life. You are subject to this environment long before you can even understand language much less think critically. You grow up "knowing" that there is a Supreme Being and organized religion is valid. After all, why would Mom and Dad participate if it weren't all real? Further, you are actively discouraged from examining these beliefs as anything but valid. I called BS at 12 or 13 but many, like my brother, never examine their "beliefs". Maybe that is best. I have tried very hard not to believe but it is just impossible. I can get my brain to not believe but not my heart.

Now, I know that there are real atheists. But, I don't think most of the people that self-identify really are. I think their real problem is organized religion...specifically Christianity. I never hear them railing against Hindus or Wiccans or any other brand of religion...just organized Christianity. A lot of these people will claim to be "spiritual" but not religious. I have heard them say "I want to believe but I just can't". Personally, I think if you want to you do...whether you admit it or not.

The other factor I see is the apparent need of humans to believe in something bigger than themselves. As a species we seem to have a need to believe in something...and particularly something AFTER this life. We don't WANT this to be all there is so we are open to suggestion. Think about it. Has there ever been a major society or significant culture WITHOUT a religion? I can't think of any. All those Beliefs, all those Gods, all those creation stories...all wildly different but oddly similar. The single consistent theme to emerge from an examination of them would be that they all embody the social and cultural norms of their originators. They essentially rubber stamp the practices, procedure and taboos already in place. It sort of brings up a chicken or the egg question for me.

So, we have been immersed in a belief system from before we can think or communicate. Its basis and tenets become embedded in our minds in our sub-conscious. And, even when we seek to challenge that we are thwarted by the fact we are "hard-wired" to believe in a Supreme Being (I think because we are aware of our mortality, perhaps...look at how religious old folks get). So, an intellectual rejection is the best I think most people can swing. And that is not the same as knowing with every fiber of your being that it is all make believe.

I get a little annoyed by their claims they don't believe. Of course they believe. They believe their is nothing to believe in...as much an act of faith and belief as the believer reciting whatever his God requires. But, try telling one of them that.

Want to hear why I think Christians under-sell the Creator? I'll e glad to share that with you as well if so. It is a more interesting discussion than this one.

millergrovesue

Re: About Those Atheists

Postby millergrovesue » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:54 am

Thanks for your input, CD. I pretty much agree.

I think it's human nature to believe in a higher power. I think we want to believe there is a purpose for our existence - other than happenstance. 'Course my belief is that God instilled that in all of us, believers and non believers alike. :D

I certainly fall within the standard. Raised in the church by believers. My generation was the first in many generations not to have a preacher in the family.

Tried to become an alternate theist in my late teens and early 20s but I knew I was lying to myself even as I was doing it. Had a VERY dramatic life changing event at the age of 28 (nearly died in a flash flood), in which I was literally lifted and saved by God, that put an end to silly notions and caused me to realize there was a reason for my being on Earth and that I needed to go about doing what I was put here to do.

I know plenty of folks who weren't raised with religion or faith of any kind. But, I think you are right that there are forces, even outside a supposed non believing family, that make non belief in something bigger than ourselves almost impossible. However, lack and study make for a lot of lame and downright ignorant belief systems and make for people criticizing "organized religion" due to ignorance and lack of study. Christians are indeed held to a higher standard and some delight in seeing us fall short of the mark so they can claim Christianity is bogus.

I think you are also right about unfair criticism of Christians over other religions (with the exception of Islam................well and maybe Judaism). I see those criticisms as being based in ignorance too.
Working to love my fellow person regardless : >

Return to “Your first forum”