Daily Medication

Description of your first forum.
Red Oak

Daily Medication

Postby Red Oak » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:09 am

Do you take any Medication daily ?

Thankfully I don't, just a few anti-inflammatory Meds as needed.

What brought this to mind is I was going through my list of emergency supplies, and I am trying to decide what I need to add.

I am a never Hillaryite!

ralph

Re: Daily Medication

Postby ralph » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:17 am

just 'ibupropen' for old broken bones and not every day !!

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:19 am

I refer to those as Paw Paw's Chiclets :lol:

I am a never Hillaryite!

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:26 am

I take a pill to control cholesterol and a pill to control psoriasis.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:26 am

I don't but my husband takes a ton. At least 7 or 8 different ones every day.

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:35 am

Prior to April I took a bunch. Now 1& 1/2 each morning. 2 & 1/2 each evening. If I keep going to the gym most mornings and getting fit, I will be able to get off everything.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:59 am

I take a couple of medications to help control irregular heartbeats and tachycardia. Other than those the rest are supplements.
Working to love my fellow person regardless : >

Castle Doctrine

Postby Castle Doctrine » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:11 am

Yep, 4 each morning and three each night; also 2 as needed. Been doing that ever since the CABGx3 in '99. Don't really think about it much now.

You know, this is a topic that has been addressed in several post-apocalyptic or alternate history stories. Most notable S M Stiriling's "Dies the Fire" series and "Islands in the Stream" series. John Ringo's "1632" series also addresses this in some detail. In essence, they all look at central characters that were older being cut off from their meds...pretty serious stuff really. It brings up issues of how to deal with end of life, how to allocate scarce resources (and to whom), re-invention and substitution.

Well, there I go over thinking stuff again. Sorry.

glenn/dallas

Postby glenn/dallas » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:17 am

I have my am's and my pm's, a total of 11 daily. Mostly heart/blood pressure related. :)

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:36 am

I take 4 in the morning and 5 in the evening. But, I will be able to stop when I'm dead.
By the way tomorrow is the annual prescription drug take back day. You can drop off any you don't need anymore to be disposed of instead of throwing them away. http://www.awarerx.org/get-informed/find-disposal-information/option-2-dea-nationwide-drug-take-back-sites
"Nice little Jewish community you got here"-Arab world to Nut Job 8-)

Castle Doctrine

Postby Castle Doctrine » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:38 am

planosteve wrote:I take 4 in the morning and 5 in the evening. But, I will be able to stop when I'm dead.
By the way tomorrow is the annual prescription drug take back day. You can drop off any you don't need anymore to be disposed of instead of throwing them away. http://www.awarerx.org/get-informed/find-disposal-information/option-2-dea-nationwide-drug-take-back-sites

Thanks for the heads up...but I am not dead yet so I still need all mine.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:58 am

Castle Doctrine wrote:Yep, 4 each morning and three each night; also 2 as needed. Been doing that ever since the CABGx3 in '99. Don't really think about it much now.

You know, this is a topic that has been addressed in several post-apocalyptic or alternate history stories. Most notable S M Stiriling's "Dies the Fire" series and "Islands in the Stream" series. John Ringo's "1632" series also addresses this in some detail. In essence, they all look at central characters that were older being cut off from their meds...pretty serious stuff really. It brings up issues of how to deal with end of life, how to allocate scarce resources (and to whom), re-invention and substitution.

CABGx3? Stints? or valve replacements?

Hadn't thought about what would happen if my meds were no longer available. Guess I'd be having a 24/7 panic attack with the heart beat issues. Not pleasant to contemplate at all. :(

But, I will be able to stop when I'm dead.

Yeah, there is that to look forward to.........................I guess. :?

Castle Doctrine

Postby Castle Doctrine » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:11 pm

millergrovesue wrote:
Castle Doctrine wrote:Yep, 4 each morning and three each night; also 2 as needed. Been doing that ever since the CABGx3 in '99. Don't really think about it much now.

CABGx3? Stints? or valve replacements?

Hadn't thought about what would happen if my meds were no longer available. Guess I'd be having a 24/7 panic attack with the heart beat issues. Not pleasant to contemplate at all. :(

Fortunately it was just arterial blockage...2 85%ers and a 100%er. No stints...took grafts from by lower right leg. Haven't had a bit of trouble since. Last cardio (last year) workup was described as exceptional for a man 10 years younger. I guess clean living and the right meds have benefited me a bit. I'm six years or so beyond expected for a CABGx3. It is an interesting story...cardiac recover really was horrible (respiratory, couldn't see the clock, really messed up). The only thing that made it bearable was the constant presence of my Mom in the room comforting me and telling me it would be fine. She had been dead for 3 years at the time but I swear she was there. I saw her, felt her...she was right when she said I would be fine. I'm not going to try to explain that...it just was.

If you read much you might really like "Islands in the Stream"...it is mostly just good general fiction. "1632" is far more complex but excellent adventure tale. I like alternate history because it MAKES me think about stuff like this. I like to think.

bodine

Postby bodine » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:00 pm

Three blood pressure meds; a sugar control pill, and synthroid...

However, my blood pressure has been dropping; as has my sugar; at my last checkup in July, doctor halved the dosage for my sugar control pill; and removed my allopurinol as I haven't had a gout attack in over two years. He might decrease prescriptions for the blood pressure med.

I have been slowly losing weight; not a factor of exercise, but eating less. With the kids gone, we are both working longer hours, and as a result, don't eat much in the way of dinner. And trying to eat healthier...

John in Plano

Postby John in Plano » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:19 pm

Take 1 daily to control my cholesterol, and I use otc naproxen for my knees when needed.
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:22 pm

I take celebrex morning and evening and supplements. I'm trying to find beetroot, but will probably order from Amazon. Zinc, that's supposed to keep outbreaks of the auto-immune disease under control. I've found that it just
let's it simmer and finally needs surgery to actually stop it.+

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:42 pm

The only thing that made it bearable was the constant presence of my Mom in the room comforting me and telling me it would be fine. She had been dead for 3 years at the time but I swear she was there. I saw her, felt her...she was right when she said I would be fine. I'm not going to try to explain that...it just was.

That's a wonderful story!..............And she was right. :D

I saw angels all over the walls during a traumatic hospitalization. Some poo poohed it as being the result of pain medication. I don't think it was but, even if it was, what a great comfort those angels were at the time.

However, my blood pressure has been dropping; as has my sugar; at my last checkup in July, doctor halved the dosage for my sugar control pill; and removed my allopurinol as I haven't had a gout attack in over two years. He might decrease prescriptions for the blood pressure med.

Hooray for you, bodine!

I understand gout is horrible. Had an uncle who had diabetes and gout. He refused to do anything about it in the way of dietary changes. Bull headed so and so.

RedEye

Postby RedEye » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:44 pm

I've been very fortunate and am not taking any medication on a daily basis and no prescription drugs at all. I do take an OTC anti-inflammatory for arthritis in my neck though when it starts bothering me.

Jim Jack

Postby Jim Jack » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:43 am

One baby aspirin in the morning. I have taken blood pressure medicine in the past, but I don't need it now. I am a lucky dog.

I am realistic enough to know that it won't stay this way.

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:49 am

I had to have a pre-op physical before surgery for my broken C3 vertebrae. The neurosurgeon wanted an internist at big Presby to do it. I can't remember his name but he was really nice. There I was with a broken neck and an aneurism and I had a good belly laugh when he said "Well, you have issues of course, but you're basically healthy. I'm approving you for surgery but please, please get that aneurism taken care of when you recover from this surgery."

Return to “Your first forum”