Remembering the Old Digest

Description of your first forum.
Fitzroy

Remembering the Old Digest

Postby Fitzroy » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:17 am

I'm not a DD old-timer, but when I first stumbled across it I thought "Wow - this place is fun". It was like Seinfeld on the web - a show about nothing. With great camaraderie and good humor.

For me, that was a welcome switch from some other rough crowds I'd found my way in to in my search to understand what the heck went wrong with our economics in 2007-08. Not being a big talker, I became a long-term lurker at DD, just stopping for my daily smile. Finally decided to join, but as luck would have it, I think I was actually the last new member to join the old board.

Our host here has certainly gone above and beyond in setting up this forum for the DD refugees and I appreciate the heck out of that. And don't get me wrong, I've certainly got my own opinions on political/economic matters and will weigh-in on occasion.

I just wish we could find some more of the magic that made DD great!

bodine

Re: Remembering the Old Digest

Postby bodine » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:21 am

Fitzroy, you are not alone in your sentiments...

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:36 am

I mean this in the kindest way, and regardless of what you two think about me, I think you are both a credit to the board.

If you don't like the direction this board is going; do your part to change it . ;)

I am a never Hillaryite!

Fitzroy

Postby Fitzroy » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:45 am

Red Oak wrote:I mean this in the kindest way, and regardless of what you two think about me, I think you are both a credit to the board.

If you don't like the direction this board is going; do your part to change it . ;)

Thanks Red Oak. I have no hard feelings about anyone here.

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:55 am

I totally agree with all the above.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:18 pm

Yep, you don't like/enjoy what's being posted ---- participate. And if you like what's being posted --- participate. And don't rip on those who do participate just to prove what a jerk you can be.
Working to love my fellow person regardless : >

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:04 pm

You guys are engaging in some selective remembering. There was a lot of ugliness on Kevin's board.

A lot.

How many people had their memberships pulled for not playing nice? Some of them went to another place that existed primarily to bitch about Dallas Digest and its members.

Remember when Kevin created "The Lighter Side" - for the people who just wanted the fun stuff without wading through the heated discussions on the main board? Whenever someone complained that some members were spoiling their "fun" it was suggested that they go to "The Lighter Side." And what was always the response - nobody posts over there.

And let's not forget that the discussion board in question was created by the guy who threw a former Secretary of Defense out of his studio and ranted about handguns as "portable killing machines." He also took regular shots at the Vice President of the United States for his lack of intelligence. But if all you want to remember is Joke and Talent Hour, feel free.

Just my thoughts.

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:20 pm

"portable killing machines"

And just a few years later, Hell, he was packin one ! :lol:

Kevin had the sense to change his mind....and I gave him credit for that.

I am a never Hillaryite!

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:48 pm

BigTex wrote:You guys are engaging in some selective remembering. There was a lot of ugliness on Kevin's board.

A lot.

How many people had their memberships pulled for not playing nice? Some of them went to another place that existed primarily to bitch about Dallas Digest and its members.

Remember when Kevin created "The Lighter Side" - for the people who just wanted the fun stuff without wading through the heated discussions on the main board? Whenever someone complained that some members were spoiling their "fun" it was suggested that they go to "The Lighter Side." And what was always the response - nobody posts over there.

And let's not forget that the discussion board in question was created by the guy who threw a former Secretary of Defense out of his studio and ranted about handguns as "portable killing machines." He also took regular shots at the Vice President of the United States for his lack of intelligence. But if all you want to remember is Joke and Talent Hour, feel free.

Just my thoughts.

All true..and the bitching and moaning about political threads was 24/7.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

tx3653

Postby tx3653 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:08 pm

The old DD was much smoother and easier to navigate than the FB version is. I much prefer this TXdigest/DD format to the FB format.

Mark

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:46 pm

This site isn't infected with Bubba the dickhead from Burleson.

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:59 pm

Mark wrote:This site isn't infected with Bubba the dickhead from Burleson.

Careful now..you might bring him out!

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:13 pm

I thought the Darkside, DFW Digest was more fun. You could say whatever you wanted there. You didn't have to be careful not to criticize a certain religion and a few other subjects. And there was a double standard. The inner circle could say about anything and get away with it. Instead of being booted, their worse insults were just deleted.
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:34 pm

When I read a comment critical of me that the poster didn't have the cajones to say to me while they were on DD, that told me all I needed to know about DFW Digest.

(BTW, cajones is used in the figurative sense, if you get my meaning)

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:43 pm

BigTex wrote:When I read a comment critical of me that the poster didn't have the cajones to say to me while they were on DD, that told me all I needed to know about DFW Digest.

(BTW, cajones is used in the figurative sense, if you get my meaning)

I went there a few times hoping someone would be talking about ME...nope!..nuthin'!

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:46 pm

..especially since it seemed like every time Kevin booted Cactus..it was after Cactus had some type of "discussion" with me.

Sangersteve

Postby Sangersteve » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:20 pm

DD was different, Kevin was not a regular poster and let the moderators run the board. That was OK till a moderator chose to delete certain posts, therefore making the other person look like the bad guy.I was sad to see it go, but you don't have to moderate FB.

Cacti was finally banned forever after physically threatening me. I went to the darkside to pick at them on issues, only to find out that bunch of lefties wanted no part of facts. They were especially good at name calling and calling you a liar on issues they could have no knowledge of.

I only wish more people would have followed to this place, BTW I didn't ban Spacey for inappropriate language, I called him out on it a couple of times and he got his panties in a wad and left.

I seldom post to the FBDD, just doesn't feel the same.
It's a joke son,I say a joke

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:54 pm

DFW Digest was the septic tank of the DD, where all the shit ran to.

I am a never Hillaryite!

GFB

Postby GFB » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:59 pm

Red Oak wrote:DFW Digest was the septic tank of the DD, where all the shit ran to.

I remember the name DEW..was he the one that started that place?

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:08 pm

I met quite a few friends online whom I've met in 3D. There are some really nice ladies that I am still in touch with. And we had a fun little baseball watching group while it lasted. I tried to ignore the topics I didn't like but there could be so many of them some days. And I agree on Bubba not being here to infect this place.

Return to “Your first forum”