Texas judge shot last night in Austin

Description of your first forum.
GFB

Re: Texas judge shot last night in Austin

Postby GFB » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:41 am

Just a suggestion.

Use all those big houses in her neighborhood to her advantage.

At some point, in a seller's market, and when prices inflate to when you know it's starting to get silly..move your mom elsewhere.

Selling her home will free up cash that could double or triple her income.

Her quality of life could improve significantly.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:47 am

There is no way you can understand my Mom's situation but suffice to say we are doing all we can to keep her in that house because it's the only way my Mom can retain her independence, her ties to her church - which is the center of her life, her friends, her nearly 65 year history with my deceased father (who loved that house almost as much as he loved Mom and we kids), in short everything that makes her life enjoyable. Moving her would be the end of her life on her own. My Mom's happiness is paramount to us, her kids. She will be 90 in December. No one should have the right to force her to change her life until/unless she is unable to make decisions for herself..............especially not a city that seems to have lost compassion for anyone who isn't wealthy.
Working to love my fellow person regardless : >

GFB

Postby GFB » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:58 pm

It sounds like you understand that your mom's well being is at this point up to you and other family members.

That's good. I just don't understand the lashing out at others that have their own problems, and family members with needs.

I have to do the compassion bit for my mother in law at this point..years ago it was for my own mother.

By the way, your mom sounds pretty lucky..90 years old and still living how and where she wants.

At 63, my mother had to sell her own paid for house because she could'my afford the property taxes.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

John In Austin

Postby John In Austin » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:04 pm

Property taxes in Austin are outrageous, but that's what you get when you allow liberals to run a city bloated it city code enforcers, environmental extortion departments and the like. Letting a liberal run anything is like allowing a pedophile to run a daycare center. The outcome is predictable and never good. Does your mom have a homestead exemption or does Austin choose to ignore state law?
Liberalism is a mental disorder.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:58 pm

You are so right about Austin's issues and the causes, John. I have tried, several times, looking up how many native Austinites serve on the city council. Of course that information is not available.

Yep, Mom has a homestead and a senior exemption but those don't prevent property taxes being raised because of reevaluation of property values. My sister fights the city about twice a year on my Mom's behalf. One of my dear brothers pays her property taxes.

On the other hand we have my dear, and very eccentric, other brother who lives in south central Austin. He has lived in his house probably 35 years. It's in a formerly VERY modest neighborhood - heck the creek across the street from my brother's house has historically been a homeless camp. This brother has such things in his yard as a "spring garden" (made up of painted automotive springs sprinkled liberally throughout the bed), assorted metal art, and a dead car and/or parts thereof. Some snooty person moved next door to him, remuddled the house into yet another McMansion, then demanded that Charlie "clean up his yard". Charlie's reaction was to string fluorescent tape along the property line and sweetly tell the neighbor they were welcome to build a privacy fence there. Otherwise, he told them, they could exercise the option of averting their eyes when driving past his property. I wouldn't want him as my neighbor but I love his attitude!!!
Yes, Greg, my Mom is blessed in so many ways. She has been there for all of us and now we are there for her. We have all made sacrifices for each other and will continue to do so because that's how we were raised.

mayhem

Postby mayhem » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:31 pm

And I once thought of Austin as an almost mythically wonderful town.

This that I read here is so troubling. San Francisco is having the same problems only worse.

Won't be too long before 7 and 13 figure incomes will no longer abide those of us who limp
along on a mere six figures. And the 7 figures will soon go the way of the rest of us
pariahs because the new 'successful' are sitting on 12 and 13 figures.

Planning, zoning, and carpet baggers are in cahoots. I once entertained the idea of
enjoying my last years in the Hill Country. Doubt it would be all that great now.
Not for me anyhow.

ATDoW
All Life is Feudal

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:55 pm

mayhem wrote:And I once thought of Austin as an almost mythically wonderful town.

This that I read here is so troubling. San Francisco is having the same problems only worse.

Won't be too long before 7 and 13 figure incomes will no longer abide those of us who limp
along on a mere six figures. And the 7 figures will soon go the way of the rest of us
pariahs because the new 'successful' are sitting on 12 and 13 figures.

Planning, zoning, and carpet baggers are in cahoots. I once entertained the idea of
enjoying my last years in the Hill Country. Doubt it would be all that great now.
Not for me anyhow.

ATDoW

You absolutely would not believe the nightmare that is the Austin Planning & Zoning Commission. My sister has almost completed a project that should have taken 6 months. It has taken 3 DAMNED YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it's all because of the city. They even made her completely tear out and rebuild a perfectly good concrete driveway because there wasn't sufficient pervious (sp) ground cover in it. Now every time it rains the gravel in the center of the driveway washes out into the street. They also made her tear out the brand new driveway apron to put in a handicapped accessible driveway apron suitable for sidewalk access. There has never been nor will there likely ever be sidewalks on the street. The city is completely out of control. California East!!!!!!!

I dread the thought that I would ever live in the hellhole that Austin has become. But I love my family more than I hate the Austin of today.

mayhem

Postby mayhem » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:22 pm

I had a friend whose family owned and operated some restaurants
in the Austin area. I can't think of the name, but
it was popular and successful.

The cool places in Austin haven't been able to pay rent on their square
feet for years. My friend won't even come back for SXSW!

I don't know how the business is doing but my friend decided he wanted to live
in a cool place ... something like Austin once was oh so long ago!
He makes less than half as much as he was making.

And he says it feels like he's making twice as much.
All Life is Feudal

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:04 pm

Austin has become a cesspool. "Keep Austin weird" is a hollow joke these days. Nothing fun and weird about greed and corruption.

In my fantasy world my whole family would leave. Sadly, that won't/can't happen.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:50 pm

Like most UT grads I wanted to live and work in Austin. Not any more. I can't even stand to drive through it on that gawd awful I-35.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:45 pm

There's not all misguided a$$holes. Here's one of the good guys. This is one of the many local ministries that my home church First Baptist, is hands on involved in. http://www.kcentv.com/story/30480384/al ... f-the-year.

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:27 am

And Big Tex that is why I take the tollway. I almost lost my mind on I 35, back before they covered the UT practice field. I watched that damn play so many times (sitting still on I 35) I could have run the play and probably from any position. The first time I took it, I thought I was in the Twilight zone. I saw a house every once in a while but no cars, no trucks...nothing. But every once in a while there would be a toll booth with someone in it! I didn't have a toll tag at the time. It was really a Twilight Zone experience.

Return to “Your first forum”