Ralph, curiosity on my part.

Description of your first forum.
grouchy

Re: Ralph, curiosity on my part.

Postby grouchy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:23 pm

Never mind. Sorry I wasted both of our time by asking the original question. Btw, Mr Romney and Mr Limbaugh also meet the definition.
Good night.

ralph

Postby ralph » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:56 pm

ElRushbo is excellent no matter his status , romney not so much as I wouldn't vote for him with the choice of a Trump or a Cruz Grouchy .

GFB

Postby GFB » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:00 pm

I can't imagine where the country would be had there been no Rush.

He single handedly mainstreamed the Conservative movement.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

ralph

Postby ralph » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:11 pm

right on Greg , thank God for the lovable fuzzball with the formerly nicotine stained fingers known as ElRushbo !!!

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:02 am

GFB wrote:I can't imagine where the country would be had there been no Rush.

He may be the leader of the radio "dittohead" crowd, but he is no leader of the Conservative Movement by any measure I have seen.
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:42 am

I'm sure I fall under your "chicken hawk" category. I did serve but was never in combat. I really want a very strong country. Right now Putin is pushing us around. Oh hell, everyone is pushing us around. Military benefits are cut, troops on the battlefield in Afghanistan got PINK SLIPS! Obama promised to transform America and he certainly has. We are wimps now. Capitulation to him is "living in peace". However, I almost killed my self helping our wounded warriors. I drove to San Antonio almost every week, worked 12 hours on weekends and during the week spent my time finding donors for things that our wounded needed. It was all consuming.....commercial freezers for Fisher House....commercial dishwashers....computers for those who lost both hands....14 of those and the engineers to show them how to use the voice recognition software, half of a Fisher House (you can't actually buy a Fisher House, but the Fisher family will accept half of the money needed) The family has been spectacular in their management of Fisher Houses and they need to keep that control. When I finally got out of the hospital, a friend called and said "I have a disabled veteran coming in to work with some service dogs, want to come and meet him?" I volunteered for 4 years helping train service dogs for injured warriors.

You would probably call my husband a chicken hawk, too, but you would be so terribly wrong. He wanted to join the Navy and his father wouldn't let him. He had a full scholarship to Case Western Reserve, majored in electrical engineering and still wanted to join. But, the admiral who introduced us, wanted him then and there to work on computer systems for the Navy. At that time he had to design the hardware and software. They were updating the P 3 planes. We moved to Texas and began designing systems for the Air Force. He is an humble man, but I can tell you he is revered by the Air Force personnel he worked with. He has patents. He has awards but you'd never hear that from him!

And that's why I think "chicken hawk" is very, very demeaning and mean-spirited. And make no mistake, under your idea, both my husband and I ARE chicken hawks. You have no idea of what people have done to support the defense of our country. We went to a luncheon and a colonel came up to my husband and said "I have wanted to meet you and thank you for all you've done..." I can't go into specifics but I was in tears hearing the colonel's story...it involved Black Hawk down and the rescue due to something my husband had designed and built. My husband kept saying "We need to go." He doesn't handle things like that too well. Or I was crying so hard he just wanted to get me out of there. LOL!

So I do take that term as insulting.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:03 am

I guess everyone is free to come up with a definition that suits their purpose ("necessary" war is pretty subjective), but I think the commonly held definition of a chickenhawk is someone in government service, i.e. Congress, who is fine with sending American servicemen off to fight and die somewhere without ever having served themselves. That does not include those who were disqualified for medical or other reasons.

In other words, if you avoided military service but vote to send troops in harm's way, you are considered a chickenhawk.

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:34 am

ann jusko wrote:I'm sure I fall under your "chicken hawk" category. I did serve but was never in combat. I really want a very strong country. Right now Putin is pushing us around. Oh hell, everyone is pushing us around. Military benefits are cut, troops on the battlefield in Afghanistan got PINK SLIPS! Obama promised to transform America and he certainly has. We are wimps now. Capitulation to him is "living in peace". However, I almost killed my self helping our wounded warriors. I drove to San Antonio almost every week, worked 12 hours on weekends and during the week spent my time finding donors for things that our wounded needed. It was all consuming.....commercial freezers for Fisher House....commercial dishwashers....computers for those who lost both hands....14 of those and the engineers to show them how to use the voice recognition software, half of a Fisher House (you can't actually buy a Fisher House, but the Fisher family will accept half of the money needed) The family has been spectacular in their management of Fisher Houses and they need to keep that control. When I finally got out of the hospital, a friend called and said "I have a disabled veteran coming in to work with some service dogs, want to come and meet him?" I volunteered for 4 years helping train service dogs for injured warriors.

You would probably call my husband a chicken hawk, too, but you would be so terribly wrong. He wanted to join the Navy and his father wouldn't let him. He had a full scholarship to Case Western Reserve, majored in electrical engineering and still wanted to join. But, the admiral who introduced us, wanted him then and there to work on computer systems for the Navy. At that time he had to design the hardware and software. They were updating the P 3 planes. We moved to Texas and began designing systems for the Air Force. He is an humble man, but I can tell you he is revered by the Air Force personnel he worked with. He has patents. He has awards but you'd never hear that from him!

And that's why I think "chicken hawk" is very, very demeaning and mean-spirited. And make no mistake, under your idea, both my husband and I ARE chicken hawks. You have no idea of what people have done to support the defense of our country. We went to a luncheon and a colonel came up to my husband and said "I have wanted to meet you and thank you for all you've done..." I can't go into specifics but I was in tears hearing the colonel's story...it involved Black Hawk down and the rescue due to something my husband had designed and built. My husband kept saying "We need to go." He doesn't handle things like that too well. Or I was crying so hard he just wanted to get me out of there. LOL!

So I do take that term as insulting.

Ann, back off please. I never said a damn thing about combat, I said serve.
We need to discuss this. Please call me 817-709-4821. Trump, Romney and Limbaugh avoided service, again you specified combat. In all the years we have known each you have never heard or seen me reference chicken hawks as someone who never experienced combat. A relatively small percentage of those who were in the military actually saw combat, but they damn sure served.
And yes, I am pissed off.

ralph

Postby ralph » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:26 am

planosteve wrote:

He may be the leader of the radio "dittohead" crowd, but he is no leader of the Conservative Movement by any measure I have seen.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- WHO deserves that description if not Rush Limbaugh Steve ?? That description of Conservative Leader sure doesn't apply to any living mainstream 'repub' that I have heard of . Please name one' leader of the 'Conservative' movement other than Rush .

GFB

Postby GFB » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:33 am

ralph wrote:
planosteve wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- WHO deserves that description if not Rush Limbaugh Steve .?? That description of Conservative Leader sure doesn't apply to any living mainstream 'repub' that I have heard of . Please name one' leader of the 'Conservative' movement other than Rush .

And it's much more than just leading a movement.

Rush gave birth to all of Conservative talk radio.

Hannity, Levin, Medved, Praeger and all the rest..including local people..all have Rush to thank for their careers.

..and oh yes..there would be no Fox News either..we'd still be getting all of our "news" from the same left leaning sources.

Someone had to start it all..he did.

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:38 am

Of all the current candidates, two have past Military Service if I recall correctly, Jim Webb and Lindsey Graham.

Webb had a distinguished Combat Record.

I am a never Hillaryite!

ralph

Postby ralph » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:40 am

yep or Ditto !! Before Rush radio was just music stations and shock jocks , 'npr' and I was a listener to 'npr' and I liked it . Then Rush showed up and changed America and changed my listening habits !!

ralph

Postby ralph » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:43 am

and WEBB might be ok but I know little about him . Lindsey , he sounds good on fighting 'Islamic state' but I don't like him or his immigration thoughts .

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:47 am

Grouchy, once some people get on their little personal train tracks the only way they are going to get off is by catastrophic event. Closed minds remain closed through the hard work of refusal to listen or consider the validity of the thoughts, feelings, or needs of others. *patting you on the back for your attempt*

And you are so right, serving this country can take many more forms than carrying a gun into combat. It's that railroad track effect here again.
Attachments
HeneryHawk.jpg
HeneryHawk.jpg (6.29 KiB) Viewed 442 times
Last edited by millergrovesue on Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Working to love my fellow person regardless : >

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:50 am

Democrat Dictionary Continued

War Hero (modern) = John Kerry and Bo Bergdahl !

I am a never Hillaryite!

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:51 am

Limbaugh's website is barely in the top 50 conservative web sites at 48. Even Glenn Beck's ranks higher.

ralph

Postby ralph » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:54 am

ALGORE !! I like the photo of him in fatigues and booney hat looking down the barrel of his rifle !!

GFB

Postby GFB » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:03 am

Red Oak wrote:Of all the current candidates, two have past Military Service if I recall correctly, Jim Webb and Lindsey Graham.

Webb had a distinguished Combat Record.

Webb's already dropped out and Graham should have months ago.

Obviously this is not an issue for America.

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:21 am

ralph wrote:
planosteve wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- WHO deserves that description if not Rush Limbaugh Steve ?? That description of Conservative Leader sure doesn't apply to any living mainstream 'repub' that I have heard of . Please name one' leader of the 'Conservative' movement other than Rush .

What "conservative movement"? Conservatives have been around forever. They started in England. Do you mean the Tea Party movement?

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:39 am

You might want to check with David Gold about who started conservative talk radio. Rush may be responsible for its mass appeal, but he didn't start it.

Return to “Your first forum”