For GFB

Description of your first forum.
Bob Of Burleson

For GFB

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:27 am

Much Ado About Kabibble

Today is the birthday of the one and only Merwyn Bogue (1908-1994), better known by his professional name Ish Kabibble.

What a mysterious thing is this Ish Kabibble — old time show biz buffs know him from appearances on Jack Benny and Eddie Cantor’s radio and tv shows, and the occasional cameo in a movie. A dim, vaguely foreign character with a pudding bowl haircut like Moe Howard of the Three Stooges, he was both a character comedian and a corner player in Kay Kiser’s band. Most people I think could be forgiven for assuming that he was Jewish, or at least from New York City.

NEVER ASSUME! Bogue is a Scottish surname; he was from western Pennsylvania, and attended college in West Virginia. The origin of his persona goes something like this:

There is a Yiddish phrase, “Nisht gefidlt”, which means “it doesn’t matter to me”. Out of this (apparently), the nonsense phrase “Ische ga bibble” may have evolved, to which tradition has ascribed the meaning, ‘I should worry?”, which became one of Bogue’s catch phrases.

In 1913, songwriter Sam Lewis came out with the popular song “Ische Gabibble” based on the phrase.

Then in 1914 Harry Hershfield debuted his comic strip Abie the Agent, starring the character Abe Kabibble. (Thus explaining that remark of Chico Marx’s when he meets Rosco W. Chandler in Animal Crackers — “You’re not Abe Kabibble?”)

In 1931, Bogue started performing with Kiser’s band. One of his specialty numbers was the song “Ische Gabibble”, out of which arose his character and his role as comical sidekick to bandleader Kay Kiser in nightclubs, and on radio and film. He played the role until the early 1950s, when he retired and went in the real estate business. I’ll eat my hat if he was not an influence on Andy Kauffman.

To find out more about the history of show business, consult No Applause, Just Throw Money: The Book That Made Vaudeville Famous, available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and wherever nutty books are sold.

https://travsd.wordpress.com/2016/01/19/musch-ado-about-kabibble/

ralph

Re: For GFB

Postby ralph » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:04 am

i remember my DAD saying , mentioning the name term or whatever of 'ish kabible' , Dad also sang ' Goodnight Irene ' at the top of his lungs on occasion !! ---- GBF !!

GFB

Re: For GFB

Postby GFB » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:17 am

I first heard the name as a working kid/musician. When someone in the band was goofing off or acting like a clown, the band leader would say.."HEY..Ish Kabibble!"
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

Return to “Your first forum”