1 down, 8 more to come by June.

Description of your first forum.
Ric

1 down, 8 more to come by June.

Postby Ric » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:25 am

Texas First execution 0f 2016 is behind us.

Yes, some of us are still not totally behind it.
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas ... 772973.php
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base. — George Bernard Shaw .

BigTex

Re: 1 down, 8 more to come by June.

Postby BigTex » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:03 pm

Fifteen years ago this would have been front page news and they would have been demonstrating in Huntsville, covered by TV news stations.

What happened?

RaisinCain

Postby RaisinCain » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:08 pm

I'm for it and I'm glad he's gone. That guy was a freakishly evil person. But then again many of them on death row would fit that description.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:08 pm

Ric, what cases are you for it if any? I'm for it in the case of the boy in Irving who beat up that 85 year old woman in Irving who was just walking along minding her own business. And I would have been for it if that little 3 year old kid in the story that was posted today had died. There's a part of me that wants to see him given capital punishment even though the kid didn't die. Someone who subjects a kid to that doesn't deserve to live.

Yeah, he'll probably get it in prison when someone finds out what he did....

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:18 pm

crocmommy wrote:Ric, what cases are you for it if any? I'm for it in the case of the boy in Irving who beat up that 85 year old woman in Irving who was just walking along minding her own business. And I would have been for it if that little 3 year old kid in the story that was posted today had died. There's a part of me that wants to see him given capital punishment even though the kid didn't die. Someone who subjects a kid to that doesn't deserve to live.

Good question.
My granddad taught me many decades ago that "there are some folks that just need a good killing". Ric disagrees with this, and I love him like a brother, but on this one we disagree.

Ric

Postby Ric » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:13 am

BigTex wrote:Fifteen years ago this would have been front page news and they would have been demonstrating in Huntsville, covered by TV news stations.

What happened?

Well, it WAS front page news in the Chronicle. And there were peaceful protesters outside the gates in Huntsville. What makes you think there weren't?
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base. — George Bernard Shaw .

Ric

Postby Ric » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:19 am

crocmommy wrote:Ric, what cases are you for it if any? I'm for it in the case of the boy in Irving who beat up that 85 year old woman in Irving who was just walking along minding her own business. And I would have been for it if that little 3 year old kid in the story that was posted today had died. There's a part of me that wants to see him given capital punishment even though the kid didn't die. Someone who subjects a kid to that doesn't deserve to live.

I'm not sure I have enough conviction to answer that convincingly. Even with this scum, it kinda hurts my stomach that we do what we do... I can't explain why I feel the way I do about it.. and there ARE cases where I am VERY conflicted..

Ric

Postby Ric » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:32 am

Good question.
My granddad taught me many decades ago that "there are some folks that just need a good killing". Ric disagrees with this, and I love him like a brother, but on this one we disagree.[/quote]

My Daddy used to say the very same thing. I loved him, but I always thought he was wrong about that.As much as I loved him, and he had a lot of love in his heart, he was also a bigot. So, a lot of his pearls of wisdom fell on deaf ears.. and he knew that. Didn't make me love him less. Lots of things he tried to teach me just didn't take, that's all. :)

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:51 am

I really believe the if you shoot a cop or a public official you should get the death penalty. Those that risk their lives to keep us safe are in a special category in my mind. We can't end up like Mexico or some other countries where they fear for the lives.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:52 am

Ric wrote:
BigTex wrote:Fifteen years ago this would have been front page news and they would have been demonstrating in Huntsville, covered by TV news stations.

What happened?

Well, it WAS front page news in the Chronicle. And there were peaceful protesters outside the gates in Huntsville. What makes you think there weren't?

Well, the Houston Chronicle doesn't count because it's basically the Huntsville newspaper.

Fifteen years ago I would have known about the protesters because it would have been reported by Dallas Morning News, Washington Post, New York Times, video of the demonstrators leading the 10:00 news in Dallas, video of the demonstrators on CNN, ABC News, CBS News, NBC News. Did that happen?

Ric

Postby Ric » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:54 am

Well, the Houston Chronicle doesn't count because it's basically the Huntsville newspaper.

Fifteen years ago I would have known about the protesters because it would have been reported by Dallas Morning News, Washington Post, New York Times, video of the demonstrators leading the 10:00 news in Dallas, video of the demonstrators on CNN, ABC News, CBS News, NBC News. Did that happen?[/quote]

Nope... and that's too bad.. too bad that everyone just accepts this as a part of what we do. No, sadly, it didn't happen like it used to.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:00 am

Ric wrote:Well, the Houston Chronicle doesn't count because it's basically the Huntsville newspaper.

Fifteen years ago I would have known about the protesters because it would have been reported by Dallas Morning News, Washington Post, New York Times, video of the demonstrators leading the 10:00 news in Dallas, video of the demonstrators on CNN, ABC News, CBS News, NBC News. Did that happen?

Nope... and that's too bad.. too bad that everyone just accepts this as a part of what we do. No, sadly, it didn't happen like it used to.[/quote]

Why do you think that is?

Ric

Postby Ric » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:08 am

well. I think it got a lot of play nationally, because we in Texas were killing so many of them each month that it was reported on both sides of the issue much more than it is now.
And those that oppose it tire of talking to brick walls, and people who ridicule them for feeling differently than the majority.
Lots of reasons.

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:17 am

Hell isn't half full......plenty more room.

I am a never Hillaryite!

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:01 am

Ric wrote:well. I think it got a lot of play nationally, because we in Texas were killing so many of them each month that it was reported on both sides of the issue much more than it is now.
And those that oppose it tire of talking to brick walls, and people who ridicule them for feeling differently than the majority.
Lots of reasons.

Or it might have had something to do good liberals wanting to keep a Republican governor from Texas getting elected president. Those people didn't give a shit about the condemned.

Ric

Postby Ric » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:07 am

BigTex wrote:
Ric wrote:well. I think it got a lot of play nationally, because we in Texas were killing so many of them each month that it was reported on both sides of the issue much more than it is now.
Lots of reasons.

Or it might have had something to do good liberals wanting to keep a Republican governor from Texas getting elected president. Those people didn't give a shit about the condemned.

Of course, ot all opponents of the death penalty are liberals. The same way that all Pro Lifers arent Conservatives that want to bomb abortion clinics. There ARE some people that have convictions that cross political boundaries, for what its worth.

GFB

Postby GFB » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:11 am

crocmommy wrote:I really believe the if you shoot a cop or a public official you should get the death penalty. Those that risk their lives to keep us safe are in a special category in my mind. We can't end up like Mexico or some other countries where they fear for the lives.

I don't have any argument with that, but I happen to believe it is worse when a civilian is killed than when a cop is killed.

Since the cops are paid to put their lives at risk, it is a better thing if they lose their lives instead of those they are paid to protect.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

Ric

Postby Ric » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:14 am

crocmommy wrote:I really believe the if you shoot a cop or a public official you should get the death penalty. Those that risk their lives to keep us safe are in a special category in my mind. We can't end up like Mexico or some other countries where they fear for the lives.

Like I said earlier, there are real situations that cause me personal conflict. Especially the cop part. As an ex cop, with many friends still involved.. it became a personal issue.

Ric

Postby Ric » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:18 am

GFB wrote:

I don't have any argument with that, but I happen to believe it is worse when a civilian is killed than when a cop is killed.

Since the cops are paid to put their lives at risk, it is a better thing if they lose their lives instead of those they are paid to protect.

There is a dark sadness that envelopes an entire group of people.. those that are paid (and not very well) for putting their lives on the line, whenever one of their Brothers or Sisters is senselessly gunned down. An incredible, personal sadness. One that many can not.. or maybe will not understand.
that said, I can't even begin to agree with you about that.

GFB

Postby GFB » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:41 am

Ric wrote:
GFB wrote:

There is a dark sadness that envelopes an entire group of people.. those that are paid (and not very well) for putting their lives on the line, whenever one of their Brothers or Sisters is senselessly gunned down. An incredible, personal sadness. One that many can not.. or maybe will not understand.
that said, I can't even begin to agree with you about that.

There's a dark sadness because the police make such a huge deal about one cop dying.

I just think the cops should be more sad, and the world should be more sad, when a civilian life is lost in the same event.

THAT'S what's never supposed to happen.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

Return to “Your first forum”