Vacation

Description of your first forum.
crocmommy

Vacation

Postby crocmommy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:12 pm

Anyone planning a summer vacation? I guess it's more of a thing if you have kids. Last year we just went to Galveston over the long weekend....about all we could afford. Now that I've had to replace our A/C unit, not sure how much we will be able to afford. We were talking about driving to Denver so the girls could see the mountains. My other plan is to take a few shorter trips one of which could be San Antonio to see Fiesta Texas and the Alamo. But that will have to be soon before it gets blazing hot down there. We might head up to Oklahoma again too.

grouchy

Re: Vacation

Postby grouchy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:58 pm

Check out a trip up to Palo Duro Canyon. Outdoor musical in a natural amphitheater, Texas is really good show. Park is fantastic, great museum in Canyon at WTSU, Easy trip.

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:47 pm

Go over to Jefferson, Texas and take a tour of Caddo Lake. Maybe they would see an alligator.

In the Houston area, there is a nature park that has lots of alligators and wildlife.

Turner Falls makes a good day trip.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:48 pm

Fossil Rim is good--$$$ but you would not have to spend on a motel.
You could catch Dinosaur park at Glen Rose at the same trip.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:53 am

We've taken the grands to Fossil Rim, picked up a bucket of chicken and gone to Dinasaur State Park for a picnic. The grands put on their bathing suits and got to play in the dinasaur tracks in the creek. I'm not calling that a river, but it might be this year. We've done it several times. A giraffe stuck it's head in the moon roof more than once. I had given my camera to one of the kids. When that giraffe's head came in the moon roof, she threw the camera and scrambled to the 3rd seat. It was hysterical. It is a wonderful day trip.

PlanoSooner

Postby PlanoSooner » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:59 am

we were planning yosemite trip.... summer baseball put a cramp in that plan.

now we are thinking a short trip to san antonio. boys never been to alamo. and there are other fun things like the caverns
Better Ingredients..... Better Moderators....

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:11 am

When things got way to rowdy for spring break, I decided to do something different for the grands spring break. We did a Texas history tour. It took 2 cars and we headquartered in Smithville and did day trips. One child was "grounded" but I talked her Mom into letting her go since it was educational. But the deal was that she'd write a report, take pictures of every place we visited. Well all the kids got involved in the album. We'd eat breakfast, pack a picnic lunch and eat dinner before returning to Smithville. So they had the evening to print pictures for the album and write what they learned that day. It was so much fun. Not a fuss even with 8 kids! But now, with the crackdown on the spring breakers, there are mostly families who go. None of the kids could go (they work or schools weren't coordinated) so a friend and I went. I don't want the place to be empty. It rained and was cold. Fine with Pinky and me, we shopped, went to the small aquarium in Rockport, went on the dolphin watch, etc.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:15 am

PlanoSooner wrote:we were planning yosemite trip.... summer baseball put a cramp in that plan.

now we are thinking a short trip to san antonio. boys never been to alamo. and there are other fun things like the caverns

Oh gosh, I forgot about those caverns. Great idea!

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:17 am

LibraryLady wrote:Go over to Jefferson, Texas and take a tour of Caddo Lake. Maybe they would see an alligator.

In the Houston area, there is a nature park that has lots of alligators and wildlife.

Have you been to Turner Falls lately? It's not in the best shape and VERY crowded on weekends. The only way I might go back is during the week. We have some friends up there we could go with on a day when only the local residents are allowed to go.

Mark

Postby Mark » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:40 pm

I am on vacation starting today. It will be another weekend in the campground at Texas Motor Speedway.
The United States Constitution is under attack by the Democrat/Communist party.

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:09 pm

crocmommy wrote:
LibraryLady wrote:Go over to Jefferson, Texas and take a tour of Caddo Lake. Maybe they would see an alligator.

Have you been to Turner Falls lately? It's not in the best shape and VERY crowded on weekends. The only way I might go back is during the week. We have some friends up there we could go with on a day when only the local residents are allowed to go.

It has been 3 years since our last visit. We went during the week. The day we were there, in early August, there was 1 family with 3-4 kids, and us with the grandson. That was nice.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:27 pm

LibraryLady wrote:
crocmommy wrote:
LibraryLady wrote:

It has been 3 years since our last visit. We went during the week. The day we were there, in early August, there was 1 family with 3-4 kids, and us with the grandson. That was nice.

Did you stop by the fried pie place right down the road? It was really really good.

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:15 am

We went to Turner Falls and it was so crowded that I was concerned about bacteria since there were lots of babies with just diapers in the water. It was kind of a miserable afternoon. We waited for the shuttle and didn't get on because people were so rude and just pushed us back. Never again.... or at least never on a weekend. To be honest, it was minorities that were so obnoxious. We didn't hear much English spoken.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:51 am

ann jusko wrote:We went to Turner Falls and it was so crowded that I was concerned about bacteria since there were lots of babies with just diapers in the water. It was kind of a miserable afternoon. We waited for the shuttle and didn't get on because people were so rude and just pushed us back. Never again.... or at least never on a weekend. To be honest, it was minorities that were so obnoxious. We didn't hear much English spoken.

When did you go Ann? Sounds like you went the same weekend we went. We were the minority that day. And the bathrooms were nasty.

We went up there several months later in January to pick up a dog that needed a home. We pulled off the highway to look at Turner Falls. Amazingly beautiful place when there is not hoards of people there.

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:14 am

Silly us, we went on a weekend. We were looking for lakefront property in OK. Never did find anything and then found out that the state of OK owns all the lakefront properties for a certain distance from the lake. I guess in case of floods, I don't know. The state parks are owned by the state. No lake front property for sale there, of course.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:18 am

Seriously considering San Antonio for a quick cheap trip. We can do Fiesta Texas and the Alamo for free. And Natural Bridge Caverns won't cost too much. I am also wanting to stop to visit with the CASA volunteer in Austin who helped me get the girls.

Return to “Your first forum”