The Shingles- No, not for your roof

Description of your first forum.
glenn/dallas

The Shingles- No, not for your roof

Postby glenn/dallas » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:09 am

After a long time of watching Terry Bradshaw tell us about the awful pain he suffered through and showing the very graphic pictures of it I decided it was time for me to get my Shingles vaccination, after all, I had chicken pox as a child.

After calling the local drive up clinics I found its an expensive vaccination. Most places quoted me just over $200.00. This led me back to the VA where I got the shot for free, not figuring the 6 years I served in the Navy to be eligible.

Just wondering how many on here have gotten this vaccination.

LibraryLady2

Re: The Shingles- No, not for your roof

Postby LibraryLady2 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:41 am

I have had the shingles 3 times.

My dr. kept telling me I needed to get the vaccination.
So, I reviewed with her, my understanding of how vaccinations work (creating antibodies etc.).
I asked her what the vaccination was going to do for me. She had no reply.
She did quit nagging me each visit to get the vaccination.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” -- Jojen Reed

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:41 am

For every 1000 people age 75 and older, only 7.5 will develop shingles in a given year. I don't think it's worth risking it.
Ages 40 to 63 is only 3 cases.
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:21 am

I was one of the lucky ones. I did get shingles, but my only reaction to the rash was chills going up my legs to my back. I didn't have the pain that most people had. However, I did have to use a week of sick leave since one guy said he hadn't had chicken pox. The Hunt County Health Department was giving the vaccine for $5. A few months later, they quit providing it. I'm sure it was just too expensive.

Return to “Your first forum”