Dad

Description of your first forum.
Twiggler

Dad

Postby Twiggler » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:01 pm

Just scrolled back a few pages and saw Grouchy had posted about Dad passing. Thank you Grouchy

Dad was 95 and a WW2 vet. He went peacefully in the early morning of July 8. Hard thing to watch. He had a stroke about 3 weeks earlier with a very small chance of recovery. He could understand what was said but had a hard time communicating, mostly thumbs up or down. When told of his situation I laid out the 2 options the Dr's gave and no reaction to either. Finally aid well ehll Dad what do you want , me to tske you back to Holly Lake where the outcome wont be good....thumb went up.
We moved him on Saturday and Sis and alternated staying with him. My vacation started July 2 so I was there when he passed.
Dad led a colorful life. He landed at Utah Beach during the war and fought for about 6 weeks before he was wounded. Was on a hill being shelled and woke up on a hospital ship on the English Channel. Had a head wound where thy wouldnt operate and he lived with that shrapnel in his head till he died. After cremation they found it and saved it for me. He had all the shrapnel they pulled out of his arm saved in a mini test tube which i have proudly displayed, along with his purple heart.
He built a house in Kansas where I think Hopper was hatched....I believe it was Sears catalog house. Changed jobs and moved to Wichita where I believe middle brother was born. Worked for Mobil when they told him to move to Dallas or you won't have a job.Moved to Irving in 59 or 60 where i was born.
He lived in Libya when Qhadaffi came into power.(sp) Mom decided next time he went overseas we were all going with him. We lived in Lagos Nigeria for 1 year. Instead of coming back to the states for vacation, we traveled Europe. I am a lucky man to see what I have seen. Got to see where he landed ay Utah beach, the Berlin wall, checkpoint charlie, Vatican,and many points in between.
He was active in the Boy Scouts for years. We did the Grand Canyon rim to rim hike.%0 mile hike through Arkansas, plus many hikes in Colorado where they ended catching the Durango train back to where the cars were.
He loved Holly Lake and chose to die there, He was an avid golfer and some of my greatest memories are of me and him playing together in tournaments. He loved to win and it didn't bother him if we lost.
He never got mad only frustrated.
I am leaving some out but it feels good to write all this.

GFB, Hopper was banned plenty of times

GFB

Re: Dad

Postby GFB » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:18 pm

Sorry to hear about your father..not sure what you're answering of mine concerning Hopper.

I do remember he was booted more than once.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

LibraryLady2

Postby LibraryLady2 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:20 pm

Thank you for sharing some memories with us.

Condolences to you, your family and all who loved your father.

All of America thanks him and the others who fought the fight in WWII.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” -- Jojen Reed

Sangersteve

Postby Sangersteve » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:47 pm

Great memories of your Dad, thanks for sharing them.
It's a joke son,I say a joke

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:18 pm

Thank you. I met your Dad a couple times when we went to hoppers for catfish frys
Our dad's had a lot in common. Mine would have turned 95 in July. Dad was a waist gunner on B17s. He God dinged a few times but nothing like your Dad. Mine was also in the oil business with Diamond Shamrock.
Anyway, he was a pleasure to talk to at the gatherings. My wife really liked him, but what the heck she also likes hopper.
I hope you post more often.
Are you still down in the College Station area?

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:03 pm

That was a life well lived.

I am so sorry about what collectively we have done with the country that generation preserved and left for us.

Hopper born in Kansas ? That explains a lot :lol:

I am a never Hillaryite!

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:45 am

Sorry for the loss of your father. Sounded like a great man.

Twiggler

Postby Twiggler » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:38 pm

grouchy wrote:Thank you. I met your Dad a couple times when we went to hoppers for catfish frys
Our dad's had a lot in common. Mine would have turned 95 in July. Dad was a waist gunner on B17s. He God dinged a few times but nothing like your Dad. Mine was also in the oil business with Diamond Shamrock.
Anyway, he was a pleasure to talk to at the gatherings. My wife really liked him, but what the heck she also likes hopper.

Still here in Aggieland.
GFB just saw where you posted about Hopper and not being banned.....just wanted to set record kind of straight.

Grouchy, last fish fry i went to you were there. When we got there dad helped get our stuff we brought. 1 item was a large tub of chocolate chip cookies. Wife made them for him every time we wen to see him. Well this time she brought them for the fish fry.
After we got home we decided we didnt see the cookies anywhere. Come to find out Dad thought they were for him and hid them in his car.
We laughed a bit over that.

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:55 pm

Twiggler wrote:
grouchy wrote:Thank you. I met your Dad a couple times when we went to hoppers for catfish frys

Still here in Aggieland.
GFB just saw where you posted about Hopper and not being banned.....just wanted to set record kind of straight.

Grouchy, last fish fry i went to you were there. When we got there dad helped get our stuff we brought. 1 item was a large tub of chocolate chip cookies. Wife made them for him every time we wen to see him. Well this time she brought them for the fish fry.
After we got home we decided we didnt see the cookies anywhere. Come to find out Dad thought they were for him and hid them in his car.
We laughed a bit over that.

This were good times.

Return to “Your first forum”