TX car registration

Description of your first forum.
jellowrestling

TX car registration

Postby jellowrestling » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:10 pm

What exactly are the rules about getting the inspection done? Does it have to be done first, or can I do the registration online now and get the inspection done in a couple of weeks?

Sangersteve

Re: TX car registration

Postby Sangersteve » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:11 pm

Inspection first, verification of inspection is then handled via a database.
It's a joke son,I say a joke

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:38 pm

That's what I thought, but my son insisted it could be done afterwards.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:06 pm

There's a 90 day window.

GFB

Postby GFB » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:32 pm

Something that always has cracked me up about California..there is no inspection.

Any no headlight no brakes no tread on the tires no turn signal piece of garbage is all good for the road.

Inspection was always a big deal in New England also.

The one thing Californua insists on is a smog the test every two years..of course it's just a tax..everyone passes it unless you have a 40 year old car.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:03 pm

GFB wrote:Something that always has cracked me up about California..there is no inspection.

Any no headlight no brakes no tread on the tires no turn signal piece of garbage is all good for the road.

Inspection was always a big deal in New England also.

The one thing Californua insists on is a smog the test every two years..of course it's just a tax..everyone passes it unless you have a 40 year old car.

Oh wow....never knew that. I hope they at least inspect 18 wheelers.

Bob Of Burleson

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:44 pm

It's just a tax in Texas too, but it didn't used to be.

Kiamichi

Postby Kiamichi » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:59 pm

State vehicle inspection here in Oklahoma was eliminated through a legislative oversight a good many years and not reinstated. I have
never heard that there was any perceivable impact on the traffic safety statistics.

Mark

Postby Mark » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:08 pm

State vehicle inspections should all be abolished. It's nothing more than a tax collection racket. Just assess the tax and do away with the inspection charade.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:33 pm

BigTex wrote:There's a 90 day window.

The way that I read it is that the inspections can be done starting 90 days before the registration expires. Are you saying that I have 90 days after getting the registration to get the inspection?

Bob Of Burleson

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:12 pm

Q: Can I just register my car first then get my safety inspection?

A. No, the safety inspection is required before your vehicle can be registered or receive renewal registration.

http://www.texastagandtitle.com/webpages.asp?wpid=29

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:24 pm

jellowrestling wrote:

The way that I read it is that the inspections can be done starting 90 days before the registration expires. Are you saying that I have 90 days after getting the registration to get the inspection?

No. The clock starts running 90 days before the registration expires. You can get the inspection done 89 days before or 1 day before. But I don't know how quickly the inspection gets into the database.

Mark

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:59 am

BigTex wrote:
jellowrestling wrote:

No. The clock starts running 90 days before the registration expires. You can get the inspection done 89 days before or 1 day before. But I don't know how quickly the inspection gets into the database.

The inspection should be going into the database immediately. The inspection stations are all entering the info directly into the system. You should able to drive directly from the inspection station to the tax office. Even if there is a problem in the database, you can take the certificate you get from the inspection station and get your registration done with that.

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:13 am

It must be immediate because I had mine inspected at Shields in Rockwall. They've inspected our vehicles since we moved here. Last year, I went in to get an inspection and he said "No, you don't need it until next year." But this year, I did. I went to Shields and immediately went to the courthouse. They never asked me for the inspection sheet he gave me. But they do give you the confirmation of passing inspection.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:26 am

My brain will not allow me to work government and immediate into the same sentence.

kent

Postby kent » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:22 am

It's immediate. You can also renew registration online up to 6 months after it expires - if you don't get a ticket for expired registration.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:22 pm

kent wrote:It's immediate. You can also renew registration online up to 6 months after it expires - if you don't get a ticket for expired registration.

Ah, that's the other piece of info I needed. I won't worry about it then. We have 3 vehicles, and this is the one I use sparingly; mostly I just use it to haul stuff like peat moss or smokey band equipment.

GRANDPA

Postby GRANDPA » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:08 pm

That reminds me. My driver's license is up for renewal in October. What makes it complicated & expensive is that I have a class A CDL with Hazmat endorsement. And I wonder if I have to get another DOT physical, even though I had one in January?
I feel like I'm parked diagonally in a parallel universe.

Return to “Your first forum”