Rangers vs. White Sox

Description of your first forum.
Bob Of Burleson

Rangers vs. White Sox

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:04 am

The game starts at 7:05 on Fox Southwest.

Bob Of Burleson

Neftali Feliz’s blown save dooms Rangers

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:33 am

jwilson@star-telegram.com

CLEVELAND — The Texas Rangers’ hopes of avoiding a three-game sweep Sunday were put in the hands of Neftali Feliz, who is attempting to seize the closer’s job in 2015 by finishing strong in 2014.

His first fastball came in at 90 mph. His second at 89. His third registered at 88. His fifth pitch, another fastball, was 89 again.

Meanwhile, the MLB GameCast apparently couldn’t believe how sharply Feliz’s velocity has dropped. It said that three of those first four fastballs were changeups.

The one David Murphy dumped into the right-field seats to tie the game? It, too, was called a changeup at 90 mph.

The technological glitch, not to mention Murphy’s two-run homer, underscores the glitch the Rangers have at closer and the glitch Feliz continues to have in his right arm two years removed from Tommy John surgery.

He can’t do the job effectively if he can’t throw the ball harder. It’s that simple. His mistakes can no longer hide behind upper-90s heaters, and he isn’t a good enough pitcher to regularly get outs without power.

Time could very well cure what ails him, but that possibility has never seemed more remote than after seeing the lack of juice in his arm while blowing a save in the Rangers’ eventual 4-3 loss to Cleveland in 12 innings.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/08/03 ... rylink=cpy

kent

Re: Rangers vs. White Sox

Postby kent » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:24 am

no one will care beginning Aug. 7

Bob Of Burleson

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:32 am

Rangers acquire 1B Mike Carp

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

The Texas Rangers have claimed first baseman Mike Carp off waivers from the Boston Red Sox.

The Red Sox had designated Carp for assignment with the goal of trading him.

To make room for Carp on the 40-man roster, the Rangers moved right-handed starter Alexi Ogando to the 60-day disabled list.

Prior to the trade deadline, Carp had asked the Red Sox for a trade because he wanted more playing time.

"For his desire to get more additional at-bats, and I can't say the role he's going into there, but we wish him well," Red Sox manager John Farrell said Sunday.

Carp played a total of 128 games in parts of two seasons for Boston. In 2013, he hit .296 with nine home runs and 43 RBIs in a career-high 86 games for the Red Sox. He appeared in six games and made one start in the postseason, going 0-for-8 with one RBI.

This season, he played 42 games and had a .198 average and nine RBIs.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:59 pm

If you're not hitting above the Mendoza line, you're lucky to have played in 42 games.

geeiabil

Postby geeiabil » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:50 pm

Pale Hose 5 Rangers 3

Rain delay in the sixth doesn't look promising.

If there's a post game presser, Wash will tell you "you've got to make pitches".
Tea + Water = Tea
Tea + Water + Sweetener = Sweet Tea
Any other designation is redUNdant

Bob Of Burleson

Flowers, Abreu lead White Sox to 5-3 win

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:00 am

By JOHN JACKSON

CHICAGO (AP) Tyler Flowers homered and drove in three runs and Jose Abreu had two hits and two RBIs to lead the Chicago White Sox to a rain-shortened 5-3 victory over the Texas Rangers on Monday night.

The game was called in the bottom of the seventh inning following a 57-minute delay.

Flowers went 3 for 3 and was a double shy of a cycle. He scored two runs as the White Sox snapped a two-game losing streak.

Abreu, who has 86 RBIs, went 2 for 3 on a day when he named the American League's player and rookie of the month for July. The Cuban slugger also won both awards in April and is the only rookie to win the player of the month award twice.

Rougned Odor had a two-run homer for Texas, which has lost four straight.

Hector Noesi (6-8) bounced back from a rough outing at Detroit in his last start - six runs in six innings - to allow one earned run and four hits in seven innings.

Texas starter Nick Martinez (1-8) allowed five runs and eight hits in five-plus innings. The rookie has lost his last seven decisions.

The Rangers scored a run in the first inning on Adrian Beltre's RBI single and stretched the lead to 3-0 on the two-run homer by Odor in the second. Both runs in the second were unearned because of Noesi's error on a grounder to first by catcher Robinson Chirinos. He dropped the throw from Abreu that would have been the third out.

MORE

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:34 pm

Nice to be on the delivering end of an ass-kicking for a change.

geeiabil

Postby geeiabil » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:45 pm

Batting practice in the City of Big Shoulders...even the Rangers can't blow a fourteen run lead in the eighth. Make that fifteen. :^P
Tea + Water = Tea
Tea + Water + Sweetener = Sweet Tea
Any other designation is redUNdant

Bob Of Burleson

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:23 am

Rangers break out long ball, crush White Sox
Chirinos' two blasts part of five-homer outbreak; Lewis gets shutout

By T.R. Sullivan / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- For the third straight game, the Rangers jumped out to an early 3-0 lead. This time they did something about it.

The Rangers kept on scoring and their pitcher completely shut down the opposing offense. There were no comebacks or lost leads on the South Side of Chicago Tuesday, only what turned out to be the largest shutout in Rangers history.

This time the Rangers prevailed on the strength of big hits from Adrian Beltre, Robinson Chirinos and J.P. Arencibia and the resurgent pitching of Colby Lewis for a 16-0 victory at U.S. Cellular Field. The 16 runs were a season-high while the 18 hits tied the Rangers' season high.

"It was a huge win," Beltre said. "Especially with the way everybody contributed. We were putting together good at-bats and making the pitcher work. It is something we have been looking for and we need to do more of it."

"It was great," Arencibia said. "But honestly the best part was watching Colby throw nine shutout innings."

Lewis did so for the second shutout of his career and the league-leading 15th by the Rangers this season. Lewis' other shutout was May 16, 2011, also against the White Sox in Chicago. That was long before Lewis missed 18 months because of elbow and shoulder surgeries, but this is the latest evidence that he is returning to the pitcher he was before all the injuries.

MORE

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:22 am

Good for Colby....hope he can keep it up.

Bob Of Burleson

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:28 pm

Rosales an unlikely hero
in 3-1 Rangers win
over White Sox

by LANDON HAAF
WFAA Sports

Rangers utility man and unlikely hero Adam Rosales recorded his first career multi-home run game, driving in all three Texas runs in a 3-1 Ranger win over the White Sox.

Rosales was penciled into the lineup after a two-hit game Tuesday night, and because he has White Sox starter Chris Sale’s number.

Rosales, who came into Wednesday’s game 5-for-9 with two home runs in his career against the All-Star lefty, sent an opposite-field, two-run blast to right-center in the top of the second.

"I always feel good off Sale," Rosales told Fox Sports Southwest's Emily Jones. "He always comes right at me, I'm always looking fastball, and I got my pitches to hit."

His round-tripper against Sale came on a fastball Wednesday.

When Rosales hits a home run -- something he had done only 21 times in his first 335 games -- he doesn’t waste any time circling the bases. He went on a second 360-foot sprint in the seventh inning when he led off the Ranger half with a solo blast to left off reliever Daniel Webb.

"I've been doing that since I was a little kid," Rosales said. "I told myself I would always do that. I think I was even more excited on the second one."

Everything went pretty quickly in Wednesday’s matinee: Rosales’ home run “trot,” Sale’s upper-90s fastball, and an efficient Nick Tepesch in a game that lasted just under three hours.

Tepesch allowed a single baserunner in the third, fourth and fifth innings, but each was erased on a double play. Chicago shortstop Alexei Ramirez, who recorded three hits on the day, was caught stealing in the first and put away on a double play in the fourth.

MORE

Return to “Your first forum”