Today's pop quiz in History

Description of your first forum.
grouchy

Re: Today's pop quiz in History

Postby grouchy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:35 pm

BigTex wrote:I put Bill Clinton in a special class because he used connections to GET INTO the Army ROTC unit at Arkansas. When it looked like he would not have to worry about being drafted he sent his infamous letter saying that he wasn't going to fulfill that obligation and anyway he was more comfortable around people who loathed the military. Or words to that effect.

There is a lot of info out there on all three of these gentlemen. I guess it is up to each individual to make their own decision on what they believe to be accurate.

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:40 pm

jellowrestling wrote:
GRANDPA wrote:So what? Since when is military service a requirement for any elective office? I'm a veteran, & my service doesn't make me specially qualified. I know one or two veterans who shouldn't even be elected as dog catchers.
WWII was a conflict where the nation's survival was in immediate and immense peril. I think that colored the perception of at least a couple of generations of Americans about military service and public office. When I was a kid, I think the majority of politicians were veterans. That has changed dramatically.

I agree. On a side note we had eighty students that graduated about ten days ago. Six young men and one young lady are going into the military. One had earned his associates degree and is going into the Army and will become a drone pilot.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:05 pm

grouchy wrote:
BigTex wrote:I put Bill Clinton in a special class because he used connections to GET INTO the Army ROTC unit at Arkansas. When it looked like he would not have to worry about being drafted he sent his infamous letter saying that he wasn't going to fulfill that obligation and anyway he was more comfortable around people who loathed the military. Or words to that effect.

There is a lot of info out there on all three of these gentlemen. I guess it is up to each individual to make their own decision on what they believe to be accurate.

I believe what I posted because there is no dispute that I am aware of that this is what happened. "Or words to that effect" because I was paraphrasing from the letter to Col. Holmes.

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:18 pm

BigTex wrote:
grouchy wrote:

I believe what I posted because there is no dispute that I am aware of that this is what happened. "Or words to that effect" because I was paraphrasing from the letter to Col. Holmes.

Oh, I definitely agree with you on the Clinton issue.

Return to “Your first forum”