Christmas tradition

Description of your first forum.
Sangersteve

Christmas tradition

Postby Sangersteve » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:16 am

Do you have one?

Every year our gift to the grown kids is all homemade,and just tossed into a paper bag or whatever container we can locate,last year it was cheap plastic trash cans.

We load them up with weird and wackey stuff that you would never buy for yourself,but would try or use if someone gave it to you, and one or two nostalgia things. This year we found Charms candy and balsa wood gliders.

Can't wait for Christmas to see a bunch of 40 somethings throwing balsa airplanes around the yard while eating Charms.

At least one grandkid will get pissed because mom or dad won't let them throw the plane.
It's a joke son,I say a joke

GFB

Re: Christmas tradition

Postby GFB » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:02 am

The tangerines and mandarin oranges front my back yard are always perfect just in time for Christmas.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

Jami

Postby Jami » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:09 pm

GFB wrote:The tangerines and mandarin oranges front my back yard are always perfect just in time for Christmas.

I always put fruit, nuts and other assorted items in the stocking I fill.

GRANDPA

Postby GRANDPA » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:23 pm

My Grandpa would put a big silver dollar in our stockings. My Dad kept up that tradition, but it's just not the same with these smaller dollar coins.
I feel like I'm parked diagonally in a parallel universe.

PlanoSooner

Postby PlanoSooner » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:55 pm

Christmas Eve was our big night.... Dad would buy a bunch of steaks(40 or so filets). Sometimes I would boil shrimp to go with it.....
Our 'out of town' friends would always drop by to visit with us when they had their fill of family.... the looks on their faces when we offered them a plate :o . The tradition got lost when we kids got our own families.....

I can still picture the big roaster pan full of steaks and potatoes we had warming in the oven.
Better Ingredients..... Better Moderators....

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:04 am

Our church has candlelight services at 7 pm. I like midnight services. The Episcopalian church is just across the road and they do have midnight services. So, I put on my fuzzy slippers and robe and sit out in the backyard and listen to the hymns. It's so peaceful.

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:43 am

I like your tradition, SS. I'd adopt it, if we saw our kids at Christmas.

My husband makes an orange, date nut cake to share with certain friends and relatives. This may be his last year to do so. It is an expensive and troublesome recipe, but sure is good. One year he made over 20. This year, only 9.

I always put and orange and banana in our son's stocking, as well as whatever small gift went into the stocking.

We attend Christmas Eve service at our church, then return home and have some special dips/spreads that I make only at Christmas. When our son was young, it was followed by driving around and looking at Christmas lights.

We will be alone this year, so I'm not sure what we will be doing after church.
Christmas lunch: for several years we invite the very elderly couple (she has Alzheimer's) down to eat with us. It will be just the 4 of us this year.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

kent

Postby kent » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:13 pm

For the past 10 years we've been going to the Prestonwood Gift of Christmas show. Started out with the 4 of us and my mom. This year there will be 20 of us! Can't wait.

We always have a Christmas Eve gathering at my in-laws house. Afterwards, we come home, put on the comfy clothes, then watch Charlie Brown Christmas. Afterwards, we open the gifts we got each other. Santa comes on Shristmas Morning - which meant wrapping presents until 4am. Santa paper is ALWAYS Different and is never used again.

The past 4 years, we've added a cookie decorating contest. The cookies are pig, not moose, shaped. We decorate in themes and vote for the best. I still can't believe my Walking Dead Christmas didn't win, I had bacon in the icing and everything! My oldest daughter has won every year. This year we are doing it after Christmas, on my wife's birthday. She still thinks it's a Christmas theme, we are all doing a 1960 theme - we'll see if she catches on.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:28 am

The girls and I have been to Interlochen the last two years. Not sure if we'll make it this year. Might go to Holiday in the Park instead.

Return to “Your first forum”