Good books

Description of your first forum.
LibraryLady

Good books

Postby LibraryLady » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:15 pm

I recommend these books:

American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America
Woodard, Colin
This one presents a fascinating look at how the way the US was settled reflects in today's political world.....and why one area is liberal and one area conservative in thinking.

1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Aug 9, 2005
by Charles C Mann
Another interesting read on how N/S America was prior to the invasion by Europeans.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

ralph

Re: Good books

Postby ralph » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:38 pm

I just bought some books for my 5 year old boy and girl Grandkids , I got the girl the LITTLE HOUSE Series of audio books , they already have a 50 year old set of the Little House books that were my younger sisters books but I read the heck out of them . I got each of them a 20th anniversary hardcover book called HATCHET and I got each of the kids the hardcover edition of ' The Brave Pilgrims ' by Rush Limbaugh . I also got them the audio version of The Brave Pilgrims and I got them something else but I forget the title at the moment . They are only 5 years old but my Daughter reads to them . I hope that my son also reads to his boy . I think I'll also get the 'DANGEROUS Book for Boys' for the boy and the 'Daring Book for Girls' for the girl .

ralph

Postby ralph » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:43 pm

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:51 am

Ralph, those are good books, but more suited to 4th or 5th graders.

5 year olds generally won't focus long enough to enjoy a novel. I hope your grands are the exception.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:31 am

Thanks for the tip. I just downloaded a sample from the kindle store. It may be tomorrow before I get a chance to start reading.
I love the feel of holding and reading a book, but ebooks are so darn convenient!
Again, thanks 'LL.

ralph

Postby ralph » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:04 am

Thanks for the advice L.L. , I think that you are correct but like I say , my Daughter reads the LITTLE HOUSE books to the girl . OH well , as I tell my Daughter put HATCHET on a shelf for the kid until she is a little older . Until then the girl can shoot her '75th Anniversary Red Ryder' BB Gun and watch 'The CHRISTMAS Story' and Ralphie. ------------ But seriously , kids are young and I'll get them some kinda toys or other reading material or something else .

GRANDPA

Postby GRANDPA » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:08 am

I just finished this one. I already knew a just a little bit about him
Attachments
511ckkDe7pL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpeg
511ckkDe7pL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpeg (26.59 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
I feel like I'm parked diagonally in a parallel universe.

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:33 pm

ralph wrote:Thanks for the advice L.L. , I think that you are correct but like I say , my Daughter reads the LITTLE HOUSE books to the girl . OH well , as I tell my Daughter put HATCHET on a shelf for the kid until she is a little older . Until then the girl can shoot her '75th Anniversary Red Ryder' BB Gun and watch 'The CHRISTMAS Story' and Ralphie. ------------ But seriously , kids are young and I'll get them some kinda toys or other reading material or something else .

Ralph, with your daughter reading aloud and explaining/discussing the books, it may all work...If granddaughter is fading from the story, put it aside for later.
I love that you are introducing the kids to good books.
Charlotte's Web and Fantastic Mr. Fox (by Dahl) will hold their attention also.

Tell your daughter to keep reading with them until they leave high school! ( I do wish I had not stopped when my son became a good reader.) If you have the habit of reading a book together (kid reads one page, you read another) it makes those awful teen years better....and you have something to talk about and not get grunts in response. :)

We just spoke with son and family and the conversation included good books he had read...and recommendations to us.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:

ralph

Postby ralph » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:19 pm

hey thanks for the advice L.L. , I was an early reader and my daughter was always asking me to read to her and she was also an early reader . I'd go to the library on summer days and I'd be reading newspapers on the front porch in summer and I saw lots of things at an early age like sputnik and . Nuremberg . Thanks for the advice , I've heard of Charlottes Web and I'll check it out for the girl tonight . What about the 5 year old boy , any recommendations for the boy . AND , I just read a brief review on Charlottes Web , I'M going to get it for her , it looks good and I think that she'd like it , Thank you !!

ralph

Postby ralph » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:28 pm

and the boy , I just read a review on Fantastic Mr. Fox and I'll get it for him as it sounds good , I like the brief description of the story . Once again Thank you L.L. !!

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:59 am

I read enough of the sample to know that it is going to be worth reading. I got it for @ $11 from kindle.
It is not going to be a quick read. This guy makes you think and consider what he is saying.
I will offer more comments in a couple of days.

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:44 am

grouchy wrote:I read enough of the sample to know that it is going to be worth reading. I got it for @ $11 from kindle.
It is not going to be a quick read. This guy makes you think and consider what he is saying.
I will offer more comments in a couple of days.

Are you talking about American Nations? I really enjoyed it. But, as you said, one has to read and digest what he is saying.
I read it, gave it to son to read. He liked it enough to recommend it to a friend or two.
I plan to recover the book on our next trip to Ottawa and reread it. I don't often reread books, but I want to revisit this one.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:06 am

Yes ma'am, American Nations.

glenn/dallas

Postby glenn/dallas » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:53 pm

I have just started UNBROKEN by Laura Hillenbrand who also wrote SEABISCUIT. Unbroken, the movie is coming out 12/25/14.

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:49 pm

If you have a child age 3 to 7, get the book Again! by Emily Gravett.

It is funny. The dragon parent has to read the book over and over and over to the little dragon. Finally, the dragon shoots a flame and burns a hole in the book. The back cover has a burned looking hole. Grandson loves it--took a minute for him to get the joke, but loves the book.

FYI
The Texas Library Association produces a list of books (each year) that gives books good for kids ages 2 to second grade...It is called the 2x2 List.
You can find this year's list (as well as past lists) here:
http://txla.org/groups/2x2

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:

ralph

Postby ralph » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:24 pm

I got 'Charlottes Web' , some kinda collectors hardcover for the girl plus the hardcover ' Fantastic Mr. Fox' for the boy L.L.. I'll take a look at 'AGAIN' , might get it but might wait as I've already gotten them quite a few books and vids , audios , etc . I appreciate the recommendations on books .

ralph

Postby ralph » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:28 pm

I got this one --- http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/charlot ... 1435145979 --- its a couple different stories in one hardcover book .

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:51 pm

ralph wrote:I got this one --- http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/charlot ... 1435145979 --- its a couple different stories in one hardcover book .

Good choice! Since mom is reading aloud to them, both will love the stories in that book....all good.
You will be a hit at Christmas.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:

Return to “Your first forum”