Avoid taking sides in Iraq, says Rand Paul

Description of your first forum.
Bob Of Burleson

Avoid taking sides in Iraq, says Rand Paul

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:04 am

America Shouldn't Choose Sides in Iraq's Civil War

Obama has made mistakes but so did Bush by invading.
There's no good case for U.S. military intervention now.

By Rand Paul
The Wall Street Journal

Though many claim the mantle of Ronald Reagan on foreign policy, too few look at how he really conducted it. The Iraq war is one of the best examples of where we went wrong because we ignored that.

In 1984, Reagan's Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger developed the following criteria for war, primarily to avoid another Vietnam. His speech, "The Uses of Military Power," boils down to this: The United States should not commit forces to combat unless the vital national interests of the U.S. or its allies are involved and only "with the clear intention of winning." U.S. combat troops should be committed only with "clearly defined political and military objectives" and with the capacity to accomplish those objectives and with a "reasonable assurance" of the support of U.S. public opinion and Congress and only "as a last resort."

Much of the rationale for going to war in 2003 did not measure up to the Weinberger Doctrine, and I opposed the Iraq war. I thought we needed to be more prudent about the weightiest decision a country can make. Like Reagan, I thought we should never be eager to go to war. And now, 11 years later, we are still dealing with the consequences.

Today the Middle East is less stable than in 2003. The Iraq war strengthened Iran's influence in Iraq and throughout the Middle East. Sunni extremists backed by Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Qatar have filled the vacuum. The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) has taken over the cities of Mosul, Tikrit and is on the march to Baghdad.

While President Obama said Thursday he will not send "combat troops," he said he is sending 300 military advisers and he has 275 servicemen to guard the U.S. Embassy. Few are advocating for boots on the ground but many are calling for airstrikes.

Let me address both of these. First, we should not put any U.S. troops on the ground in Iraq, unless it is to secure or evacuate U.S. personnel and diplomatic facilities. And while we may not completely rule out airstrikes, there are many questions that need to be addressed first.

MORE

LibraryLady

Re: Avoid taking sides in Iraq, says Rand Paul

Postby LibraryLady » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:11 am

I would agree that this is an impossible situation for US.
Run away from even a commentary.........

I find it insane to say "We will have troop embedded but they won't fight" sheesh, the soldier is supposed to sit there and take a bullet?

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

GFB

Postby GFB » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:21 am

The United States should not commit forces to combat unless the vital national interests of the U.S. or its allies are involved and only "with the clear intention of winning."

The vital national interests of our country, and especially of our allies, were definitely at stake in Iraq.

Also, we had a clear intention of winning, and did so.

Afghanistan is the stupid war..NEITHER criteria is met there..nothing worth fighting about for the U.S. ..no oil..no strategic value to the country..and there were and are definitely NO plans for victory.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

Bob Of Burleson

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:25 am

GFB wrote:Afghanistan is the stupid war..NEITHER criteria is met there..nothing worth fighting about for the U.S. ..no oil..no strategic value to the country..and there were and are definitely NO plans for victory.

But the yaks... the yaks. Somebody had to save the yaks.

:D

GFB

Postby GFB » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:29 am

Bob Of Burleson wrote:
GFB wrote:Afghanistan is the stupid war..NEITHER criteria is met there..nothing worth fighting about for the U.S. ..no oil..no strategic value to the country..and there were and are definitely NO plans for victory.

But the yaks... the yaks. Somebody had to save the yaks.

:D

..if you YAY so.

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:09 am

Smedley Butler, 4 State Marine General, said "War is a Racket". He was right. The way to eliminate war is eliminate the military. Without a military there will be no way to make money off of it. Let everyone be responsible for their own security.
I don't think the end is near anymore. :D I think it's HERE! :o

GFB

Postby GFB » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:51 am

planosteve wrote:Smedley Butler, 4 State Marine General, said "War is a Racket". He was right. The way to eliminate war is eliminate the military. Without a military there will be no way to make money off of it. Let everyone be responsible for their own security.

That might have worked 80 years ago and before.

But with intercontinental ballistic missiles..so much for that.

I assume this comment was made prior to WW2..otherwise..stars or no stars...IDIOT!!

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:04 am

GFB wrote:
planosteve wrote:Smedley Butler, 4 State Marine General, said "War is a Racket". He was right. The way to eliminate war is eliminate the military. Without a military there will be no way to make money off of it. Let everyone be responsible for their own security.

I assume this comment was made prior to WW2..otherwise..stars or no stars...IDIOT!!

Butler won 2 Congressional Medals of Honor.

GFB

Postby GFB » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:07 am

planosteve wrote:
GFB wrote:

Butler won 2 Congressional Medals of Honor.

In WW1?

I had a great uncle that won one in that war.

I never met him.. can't say for sure if he was an idiot or not.

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:30 am

Birth name
Smedley Darlington Butler
Nickname(s)
"Old Gimlet Eye"
"The Fighting Quaker"
"Old Duckboard"
Born
July 30, 1881
West Chester, Pennsylvania, U.S.
Died
June 21, 1940 (aged 58)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.
Buried at
Oaklands Cemetery
West Chester, Pennsylvania

Service/branch
United States Marine Corps

Years of service
1898–1931

Rank
Major General

Unit
2nd Marine Regiment
1st Marine Regiment

Commands held
13th Marine Regiment
Marine Expeditionary Force, China
1st Marine Regiment

Battles/wars
Spanish-American War
Philippine-American War
Battle of Noveleta
Boxer Rebellion
Battle of Tientsin
Battle of San Tan Pating

Banana Wars
Siege of Granada, Nicaragua
Battle of Coyotepe Hill
Infiltration of Mexico City
Battle of Fort Dipitie
Battle of Fort Rivière

Mexican Revolution
Battle of Veracruz

World War I
Western Front

Awards
Medal of Honor ribbon.svg Medal of Honor (2)
Marine Corps Brevet Medal ribbon.svg Marine Corps Brevet Medal
Ordre de l'Etoile Noire Officier ribbon.svg Order of the Black Star (Officier)

Other work
Coal miner, author, public speaker, Philadelphia Director of Public Safety (1924–1925)

Smedley Darlington Butler[1] (July 30, 1881 – June 21, 1940) was a United States Marine Corps major general, the highest rank authorized at that time, and at the time of his death the most decorated Marine in U.S. history. During his 34-year career as a Marine, he participated in military actions in the Philippines, China, in Central America and the Caribbean during the Banana Wars, and France in World War I. Butler is well known for having later become an outspoken critic of U.S. wars and their consequences, as well as exposing the Business Plot, a purported plan to overthrow the U.S. government.

By the end of his career, Butler had received 16 medals, five for heroism. He is one of 19 men to receive the Medal of Honor twice, one of three to be awarded both the Marine Corps Brevet Medal and the Medal of Honor, and the only Marine to be awarded the Brevet Medal

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:36 am

I thought Major General was two stars.

BillB

Postby BillB » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:46 am

BigTex wrote:I thought Major General was two stars.

Major General is two stars.

Butler also blew the whistle on the attempted coup against FDR in the 1930s.

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:06 pm

BillB wrote:
BigTex wrote:I thought Major General was two stars.

Major General is two stars.

Butler also blew the whistle on the attempted coup against FDR in the 1930s.

He shoud get a couple of Demerits for that ! :lol:

I am a never Hillaryite!

GFB

Postby GFB » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:45 pm

planosteve wrote:Birth name
Smedley Darlington Butler
Nickname(s)
"Old Gimlet Eye"
"The Fighting Quaker"
"Old Duckboard"
Born
July 30, 1881
West Chester, Pennsylvania, U.S.
Died
June 21, 1940 (aged 58)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.
Buried at
Oaklands Cemetery
West Chester, Pennsylvania

Service/branch
United States Marine Corps

Years of service
1898–1931

Rank
Major General

Unit
2nd Marine Regiment
1st Marine Regiment

Commands held
13th Marine Regiment
Marine Expeditionary Force, China
1st Marine Regiment

Battles/wars
Spanish-American War
Philippine-American War
Battle of Noveleta
Boxer Rebellion
Battle of Tientsin
Battle of San Tan Pating

Banana Wars
Siege of Granada, Nicaragua
Battle of Coyotepe Hill
Infiltration of Mexico City
Battle of Fort Dipitie
Battle of Fort Rivière

Mexican Revolution
Battle of Veracruz

World War I
Western Front

Awards
Medal of Honor ribbon.svg Medal of Honor (2)
Marine Corps Brevet Medal ribbon.svg Marine Corps Brevet Medal
Ordre de l'Etoile Noire Officier ribbon.svg Order of the Black Star (Officier)

Other work
Coal miner, author, public speaker, Philadelphia Director of Public Safety (1924–1925)

Smedley Darlington Butler[1] (July 30, 1881 – June 21, 1940) was a United States Marine Corps major general, the highest rank authorized at that time, and at the time of his death the most decorated Marine in U.S. history. During his 34-year career as a Marine, he participated in military actions in the Philippines, China, in Central America and the Caribbean during the Banana Wars, and France in World War I. Butler is well known for having later become an outspoken critic of U.S. wars and their consequences, as well as exposing the Business Plot, a purported plan to overthrow the U.S. government.

By the end of his career, Butler had received 16 medals, five for heroism. He is one of 19 men to receive the Medal of Honor twice, one of three to be awarded both the Marine Corps Brevet Medal and the Medal of Honor, and the only Marine to be awarded the Brevet Medal

HA!

Knew it!

WAY before WW2.

Helpful hint: When looking for credible comments on issues we face today..more times than not, needing to go back 140 years for someone to match your views..won't work out so well.

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:04 pm

Same basic issues. Just maybe more of them. I didn't have to go back far at all. There's this guy.

http://www.amazon.com/Washington-Rules- ... vich+books

Kiamichi

Postby Kiamichi » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:27 pm

Smedley Butler was never in a combat role in either the Spanish-American War or WWI. His Medals of Honor were awarded for actions in Mexico and Haiti during the U. S.' turn-of-the-century surge of meddling abroad. During this period the Medal of Honor was the only medal for valor and was awarded in far greater numbers than in later years. 59 were awarded to participants in the Boxer Rebellion campaign, for instance.

Mark

Postby Mark » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:43 pm

Why should we try to solve problems on the other side of the globe when we can't even defend our own southern border?
The United States Constitution is under attack by the Democrat/Communist party.

Back by popular request:

Indeed, "All Leftists lack critical thinking skills."

Indeed, "All Leftist males are pussies."

planosteve

Postby planosteve » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:30 pm

Kiamichi wrote:Smedley Butler was never in a combat role in either the Spanish-American War or WWI. His Medals of Honor were awarded for actions in Mexico and Haiti during the U. S.' turn-of-the-century surge of meddling abroad. During this period the Medal of Honor was the only medal for valor and was awarded in far greater numbers than in later years. 59 were awarded to participants in the Boxer Rebellion campaign, for instance.
I didn't say he was in combat. Generals generally don't fight themselves. I quoted him as saying "War is a Racket". In fact that was the title of a book that he wrote. So, your saying what? He was wrong?
Last edited by planosteve on Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:34 pm

He's right. War is a racket. You ever been around a MK 82 bomb when it goes off? Damn LOUD racket.

GFB

Postby GFB » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:46 pm

planosteve wrote:
Kiamichi wrote:Smedley Butler was never in a combat role in either the Spanish-American War or WWI. His Medals of Honor were awarded for actions in Mexico and Haiti during the U. S.' turn-of-the-century surge of meddling abroad. During this period the Medal of Honor was the only medal for valor and was awarded in far greater numbers than in later years. 59 were awarded to participants in the Boxer Rebellion campaign, for instance.
I didn't say he was in combat. Generals generally don't fight themselves. I quoted him as saying "War is a Racket". In fact that was the title of a book that he wrote. So, your saying what? He was wrong?

Everything's a racket.

Whoop dee doo

Return to “Your first forum”