When was your last interaction with police?

Description of your first forum.
BillB

Re: When was your last interaction with police?

Postby BillB » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:56 am

Grassman wrote:So who here has actually seen the inside of the cross bar Hilton?

I have, sorry to say.
I was 18 or 19 years old and was stopped with a six pack of beer in the car.
I spent the night in jail for "minor in possession".

Grassman

Postby Grassman » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:02 am

I was the recipient of a DWI charge in my early 20's, not the proudest moment in my life. It is what it is....It's was long time ago.

GFB

Postby GFB » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:09 am

Never been arrested..but the few experiences I've had with cops gave not been good.

The problem with cops, especially in safe neighborhoods..is that they end up spending all of their time hassling basically good people that don't deserve to be hassled..over trivial things that are not worth having laws about.

They could put a bit of energy into doing what cops did 50 years ago..get to know the people you serve, as many as possible.

They often treat good people rudely, and a lifetime of it has made it so I find it difficult to not be rude back to them.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

glenn/dallas

Postby glenn/dallas » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:17 am

I interact with the Dallas Police a lot. I am a volunteer with them. I go out on patrol with another civilian and write citations for cars parked in handicapped spaces without the proper license plate or placard. FYI, a license plate that begins or ends in DV is legal, the DV stands for Disabled Veteran. Also, a Purple Heart and a POW plate is recgonized as well.

BillB

Postby BillB » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:22 am

I've had nothing but good experiences with the cops in my city (North Richland Hills).
A woman plowed into the back of my car a few years ago. We called the police.
The insurance card I was carrying was expired. The officer followed me home so I could show him I had an up to date policy.
He could have simply given me a ticket.
They have always been helpful and have never been rude or overbearing.

Twiggler

Postby Twiggler » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:09 am

Grassman wrote:So who here has actually seen the inside of the cross bar Hilton?

When I was 17.....public intox...... we werent fought it and won. (1979)

Twiggler

Postby Twiggler » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:14 am

As far as last interaction, driving to work at 3:30 in the morning you get noticed. Back
when the ladies of night were working....I would have to drive past them on a daily basis.
Police pulled me over under the story of license plate light was out. When I got out to
check, it was burning bright.
Pulled me over on the road to the prison, right across the street from the juvenile detention
center. He saw my state ID and realized I was heading to work, let me go and apologized for
stopping me.

Allen

Postby Allen » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:38 am

GFB wrote:Never been arrested..but the few experiences I've had with cops gave not been good.

The problem with cops, especially in safe neighborhoods..is that they end up spending all of their time hassling basically good people that don't deserve to be hassled..over trivial things that are not worth having laws about.

They could put a bit of energy into doing what cops did 50 years ago..get to know the people you serve, as many as possible.

They often treat good people rudely, and a lifetime of it has made it so I find it difficult to not be rude back to them.

Most (maybe all?) Dallas County Sheriff Deputies start their law enforcement careers as jailers for the county. They learn their "people skills" by dealing with criminals and a lot of them carry it over to the civilians they deal with. I haven't had a lot of dealings with them, but the ones I have met while on the job were jerks.

Garland Police has a bad reputation as being heavy handed. Most of the ones I've dealt with were pretty cool, even when I was a punk kid. They fact they have that reputation with the bad guys doesn't bother me a bit.

bodine

Postby bodine » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:29 pm

I got to spend about two hours in the back of a TABC cruiser one night because a buddy forgot to take his id with him when we went to buy beer in Putnam, Texas. The guy was pretty nice about it; he radioed in information about the kid, and when his id was finally confirmed, he let us go. We even got to keep our now warm beer...

Red Oak

Postby Red Oak » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:01 pm

Never been locked up, arrested, or detained.

My interaction has been mixed; in recent years they have defiantly because more adversarial and less helpful.

I am a never Hillaryite!

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:03 pm

I'm not a leadfoot so I get pulled over somewhere between rarely and never. If I had a propensity for speeding, I would wear scrubs when I'm driving. If I told them I worked at a hospital I wouldn't be lying.

truep

Postby truep » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:11 pm

I've never been there, Thank God! I hear you NEVER want to go, Bad company, and bad food!

Dancer

Postby Dancer » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:42 pm

A couple of weeks ago. 2:30 AM or so. Burleson's Finest. I am leaving for work, don't signal for the right turn at City Hall and Renfro. He wanted to know where I had been I said Home. Where are you going? Work. Why so early? My hours suck officer. I'm giving you a warning citation and have a nice day. This guy was fishing also.

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:53 am

There used to be a speed trap in Royse City. I left for work at 10:00 pm. I was stopped by a city police officer and sadly, he was right. I was speeding. When he asked where I was going I said "work". Where? "post office in Greenville". The post office isn't open at night. "We're a sectional center and work 24 hrs a day." He asked what I had on the seat beside me in the brown paper bag. "My lunch". I did pick it up to show him and obviously, it wasn't a bottle. He didn't even give me a warning, just said "the speed limit is 65. Be careful." A few weeks later, the same officer stopped me again. This time I had to laugh. He said "Going to the post office?" Yes, "You do just have your lunch, right?" And it happened a third time! Same thing but I don't think I was speeding then. I think he just wanted to make a reference to "going postal." I never minded being stopped. When you work nights, you want police watching.

scarlett~nc

Postby scarlett~nc » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:00 am

let's see.....I had my ex-son-in law over for dinner on Saturday..He's a cop, does that count ?

Bob Of Burleson

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:46 am

When I worked in downtown Fort Worth in the early '80s prior to the Bass brothers intervention, the area was virtually lawless. Going home in the early morning hours, I NEVER stopped for red lights in the "war zone" and I was never stopped by patrol cars. I think the cops recognized the situation.

bodine

Postby bodine » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:19 am

When I worked at my Cedar Hill bank, I knew most of the Cedar Hill police officers, especially the motorcycle officers. At that time, the motorcycle officers had to buy their own motorcycles; I did the loans for them, and the city paid the officers a monthly stipend to cover payments.

We were living in DeSoto at the time, and my wife taught/coached at South Grand Prairie High School. She had volleyball practice at 6:00 in the morning; and she would literally fly down FM1382 in her red Maxima. The motorcycle officers would tell me they would see her speeding, but they never even stopped her. At the time, I never told her about it; figured it would ruin the karma. When I did tell her (last month); she got mad. Don't know why; she never got stopped...

Return to “Your first forum”