PSA if you encounter an asp - Gulf Coast has huge population this year

Description of your first forum.
LibraryLady2

PSA if you encounter an asp - Gulf Coast has huge population this year

Postby LibraryLady2 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:33 pm

The sting is EXTREMELY painful. from those fuzzy caterpillars.

Suggested Treatment Steps:

1. Apply adhesive tape (scotch, duct, etc.) to the affected area.

2. Rip the tape off quickly to remove the venomous spines from the wound.

3. Wash are with soap and warm water thoroughly

4. Apply ice pack

5. Apply a baking soda poultice (baking soda with enough liquid to make a firm paste – liquid can be water or apple cider vinegar)

Over the counter analgesics appear to be ineffective for reducing pain.

Oral administration of antihistamines may help relieve itching and burning following up with topical corticosteroids to reduce intensity of inflammation.

Megalopyge opercularis, commonly known in Texas as an "asp" is one of the most toxic caterpillars in North America. Also known as puss moth caterpillars, the larva are teardrop shaped from 1 to 1.5 inches long. Although called a stinging caterpillar, the venom is actually in spines connected to a poison sac and concealed by the outer hairy surface. When touched they break off and remain in the skin releasing the venom. Intense throbbing pain develops within five minutes of contact with pain extending up the affected area. If the sting area is touched there is the possibility that venomous spines can be transferred to other areas of the skin or eyes.

--If you have never seen one, there are photos
[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalopyge_opercularis[url]
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” -- Jojen Reed

grouchy

Re: PSA if you encounter an asp - Gulf Coast has huge population this year

Postby grouchy » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:17 pm

It hurts.

Kiamichi

Postby Kiamichi » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:12 pm

Wasn't that what killed Cleopatra?

LibraryLady2

Postby LibraryLady2 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:02 pm

Kiamichi wrote:Wasn't that what killed Cleopatra?

She was dealing with the snake named asp, but then, you knew that. 8-)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” -- Jojen Reed

Cowman52

Postby Cowman52 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:23 pm

I thought the asps were the idiots in Oregon.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:23 am

Those little b*st*rds seemed to be everywhere when we were kids. Got stung 4 or 5 times. They hurt like a m**********r.

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:37 am

Thanks for this post. We really need to get down to Port Aransas. No one has been in the house since August. Things just haven't worked out for either Steve or I to go. I thought we might spend the night after the funeral since it was only a 3 hour drive to Port A. But we brought McKenna home with us. She's just very upset about her grandfather's death, as we all are. He was just the best grandpa! They just have the 3 grandkids (Carrin and John's daughters). They even moved from their childhood home to Smithville to be close to the kids. They'd sold their house in Smithville and had one built back in their little hometown. But he never got to see the house he designed...the one with the wrap around porch, etc. He'd been in the hospital the whole time it was being built. We left Carrin and John and the two older girls there to finish unpacking the boxes the movers left. They'll come up tonight and the family will all gather tomorrow evening for Thanksgiving dinner. They've got to get back to the mountan top. John's got to submit the budget, etc. Carrin was worried about McKenna and I have all of her medication. She didn't need any on the way home. No seizures, no vomiting all the way home or even when we got home. She picked which bedroom she wanted, took her evening meds by herself (but I watched her) and seemed happy that we'll go shopping today for her birthday presents. It's not like I have the time with 19 people coming for dinner tomorrow, but they'll just have to come to a tossed up house. Our younger son was here with the dogs and even remembered to put the turkey in the refrigerator on Friday.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:31 am

My brother's house in Frisco had a backyard infested with asps when he bought it....unbeknownst to him until he sat on one when using a towel getting out of his jacuzzi. You can just guess where he got stung and it was horrible pain. He got someone out quickly to rid his backyard of the asps...

Return to “Your first forum”