Irritating Ads

Description of your first forum.
Jim Jack

Re: Irritating Ads

Postby Jim Jack » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:29 pm

I take back what I said about her aging. After doing some creepy searching (I feel creepy now), she still looks great.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:51 pm

millergrovesue wrote:Flo! Creepy woman.

Speaking of women - that woman who does Standard Insurance commercials. How has she managed not to age over the last 30+ years??? I lived in Dallas briefly in the early 70s. I swear she was doing Standard commercials on the late movie. Or was it the late late movie? Or was it the late great movie?

Flo, Standard Insurance, and Angie Stevens of Grand Prairie Ford.

I think the Sonic commercials are hilarious. Jack in the Box, too. Rarely eat at Sonic, pretty much never at Jack in the Box, but I LOVE those commercials.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:33 am

Jim Jack wrote:I take back what I said about her aging. After doing some creepy searching (I feel creepy now), she still looks great.

Yeah, amazing.
Working to love my fellow person regardless : >

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:44 am

Also the ads for the ambulance chasers. Adler, etc.

BillB

Postby BillB » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:51 am

The Texas Hammer and the Strong Arm.
After Bush's Harriet Miers SCOTUS nomination went bust, I convinced my wife one day that Bush had nominated the Texas Hammer to the Court.
She had a fit. I really had her believing it.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:55 am

BillB wrote:The Texas Hammer and the Strong Arm.
After Bush's Harriet Miers SCOTUS nomination went bust, I convinced my wife one day that Bush had nominated the Texas Hammer to the Court.
She had a fit. I really had her believing it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:44 am

Don't be misled by her image search pictures. In her TV ads she looks like a talking mannequin.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:18 am

BigTex wrote:Don't be misled by her image search pictures. In her TV ads she looks like a talking mannequin.

The pix look like and ad for Botox so that would pretty much fit with the talking mannequin I guess. :)

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:18 pm

[quote="millergrovesue"][quote="BigTex"]I'm OK with Angie Stevens, there's just too many G.P. Ford commercials.

I believe the Standard Insurance woman owns the company.

I know the Standard Insurance woman personally...she and her family own that company. She is a cousin on my mom's side. We were invited to their company party at the Ballpark last year. It was the first time I'd met her and she was nothing but nice. Her son is in the ads with her sometimes now.

crackertoes

Postby crackertoes » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:44 pm

Who's the girl who wags her finger and says "nobody beats our deals.... nobody." Irritating. Do.Not.Point.At.Me. She used to wear jeans or something k-mart casual... now she wears party dresses and looks like she's headed for a quincinera. It's just weird. And the pointing is irritating.

And the stiff board girl who stands sideways and shakes out her arms while talking about cars while her male counterpart looks board as a gnat in the dessert. Strange.

Then there's the nation spot for Lexus where a guy has water dripping into his apartment so he goes upstairs, sees a water spout and takes off his shirt to help the woman stop it and in walks the husband. Guy sprints for his car for a fast getaway. The problem is the car... it looks like an old-lady car. It's a beige sedan for pete's sakes! SMH
Some coffee cups are just too small.Image

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:40 pm

crackertoes wrote:Then there's the nation spot for Lexus where a guy has water dripping into his apartment so he goes upstairs, sees a water spout and takes off his shirt to help the woman stop it and in walks the husband. Guy sprints for his car for a fast getaway. The problem is the car... it looks like an old-lady car. It's a beige sedan for pete's sakes! SMH

I know they are trying to tell a cute little story, but it really doesn't make any sense. For one thing, who's kitchen sink is right next to the front door? For another thing, what's the husband's problem? He can't see that he has a plumbing issue? And he would rather go chase the shirtless neighbor than deal with the fact that his home is about to be under water? It would make more sense if the shirtless neighborhood fixed the problem and when the husband comes home he sees them standing there in various states of undress and dampness.

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:32 pm

The creepy woman and her ancient lookin husband on Freed' s furniture ads.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:36 pm

Oh I thought of another set of ads. ALL the Swiffer Sweeper ads most especially the one with the old couple - husband is Morty.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:47 pm

millergrovesue wrote:Oh I thought of another set of ads. ALL the Swiffer Sweeper ads most especially the one with the old couple - husband is Morty.

Really? I think those are hilarious and adorable.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:20 am

Part of it is the accents but it's mostly because, to me, it feels like they are making fun of old people and stereo typing.

jellowrestling

Postby jellowrestling » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:57 am

millergrovesue wrote:Part of it is the accents but it's mostly because, to me, it feels like they are making fun of old people and stereo typing.

I don't think they are "faking" the accents, if that is your objection. And being able to clean difficult-to-reach places is a legitimate concern for people in their 80s.

Zephyr

Postby Zephyr » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:06 am

I won't buy any product unless Sofia Vergara is in the ad.
"I don't know if bourbon solves problems, but I'd like to give it a shot." - My grandfather, a Very Wise Man.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:25 am

jellowrestling wrote:
millergrovesue wrote:Part of it is the accents but it's mostly because, to me, it feels like they are making fun of old people and stereo typing.

I don't think they are "faking" the accents, if that is your objection. And being able to clean difficult-to-reach places is a legitimate concern for people in their 80s.

Nope, I doubt the accents are faked and it's not just that. Everything about those ads gets under my skin for a variety of reasons. And yes, I know it's hard for people in their 80s to reach places. Heck, it's difficult for people in their 60s too. Cleaning under the bed and behind the bedside tables is a pain in the butt. And a Swiffer wouldn't help, at least not at this house.

bodine

Postby bodine » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:01 pm

Flo has got to go.
The two Sonic idiots keep me away from Sonic.
The bikini girl and the talking horse are incredibly inane; their commercials would never make me use satellite television.

If my wife is in charge of the remote, the channel is changed when a commercial comes on.
With my daughter home, we watch a bunch of stuff via Netflix, no commercials at all...

tx3653

Postby tx3653 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:31 pm

The commercials I hate the most are on WBAP radio: New Spray house painting and Smart auto leasing. They are the Milestone ad of WBAP, they run them so often that I have started just turning the radio off when one of them comes on.

Return to “Your first forum”