Good mornin'

Description of your first forum.
grouchy

Good mornin'

Postby grouchy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:17 am

Make it a special day for someone in your past. Make a call.
I am going to call an old navy buddy.

millergrovesue

Re: Good mornin'

Postby millergrovesue » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:20 am

I'm gonna try calling my Mom again. Called her the other day and got her machine.

BTW, it's lovely outside right now. Not too humid and a nice breeze...............and no skunk smell in the air. Are you out savoring it, Grouchy?
Working to love my fellow person regardless : >

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:50 am

Yes.

ann jusko

Postby ann jusko » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:59 am

No swimming pool for me today. So, I'm going to try some new recipes, do a little dead heading on the flowers, clean a bit, iron a bit and just enjoy not being in the car on I 30 through construction. Maybe get in our pool when the house blocks the sun from the pool.

I'm particularly interested in a broccoli cauliflower salad. It sounds interesting. Now I'm off to make a Kentucky butter cake. It's supposed to be the bomb and gets better if you wait a day to cut into it.

Hope everyone else does some interesting things that they enjoy!

crackertoes

Postby crackertoes » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:20 am

Going to make yummy stuff for husband's aunt and uncle; they're expecting company and could probably use some teen-friendly stuff in the frig. :)
Some coffee cups are just too small.Image

Castle Doctrine

Postby Castle Doctrine » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:39 am

It is in the mid-60s here at the moment. Humidity is around 45%. We had a little rain yesterday (as usual).

I'm sitting at my kitchen table with a cup of Sumatran coffee (fresh ground) enjoying the view of the Front Range and Pikes Peak. It isn't quite as clear as normal...still some smoke from up North. Even though it may get into the 80s today...I still feel sorry for you folks down there in Hell's boot camp.

I have the bug for Sweet Cream Pancakes this morning. They are a specialty here. I just wish they didn't make them so BIG. Yeah, I think I will get my son up and take him to Sarge's. It is a great little place run by retired military. Great sign on the door encouraging people to bring their guns right on in. BDUs everywhere at lunch and happy hour.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:50 am

Sounds heavenly.................'cept for the pancakes. I'm not a pancake person.

I know a bunch of people who head for Colorado every summer. We call the folks, who come down here for the winter, Snowbirds. Do y'all call yours Sunbirds? :D

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:02 am

millergrovesue wrote:Sounds heavenly.................'cept for the pancakes. I'm not a pancake person.

I know a bunch of people who head for Colorado every summer. We call the folks, who come down here for the winter, Snowbirds. Do y'all call yours Sunbirds? :D

Keep trying to make it to Colorado with my kids, but couldn't afford to go this year. My husband has a friend in Colorado who is very ill and we need to go. When he and I visited several years back, I think we may have eaten at Sarge's. Is it a Deli?

Castle Doctrine

Postby Castle Doctrine » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:18 am

millergrovesue wrote:Sounds heavenly.................'cept for the pancakes. I'm not a pancake person.

Well, it is almost 70 now. This is our first summer up here. Did you know a lot of HOMES here do not have AC. They use forced air...think attic fan. We insisted on a house with AC. Now we understand why it isn't a standard feature. We hardly ever turn the unit on...just run the fan with the windows open. I've learned to love open windows.

I think they call most TEXANS who come up here in the summer Coloradans now. I haven't heard any other name for them.

Too bad about the pancake thing. How about waffles...or really light biscuits (scratch made) covered in rich sausage gravy full of chunks of tasty sausage? I have always tried to frequent local places. I learned that while in service. So, we seldom eat anywhere but small local places. There is one chain here...Village Inn... that is more like a local place...and they have free pie (most EXCELLENT pie) on Wednesdays. I do, however, miss Desperado's on Lower Greenville. Can't get those tacos anywhere else (except the Fair). Oh yeah, and this is definitely NOT the place for seafood. I could use me some Guido's (in Galveston).

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:19 am

I guess we never did those things for breakfast when I was growing up so I'm not much a fan. Now french toast? Oh my goodness I love french toast..with real maple syrup, thank you.

I'm originally from Austin so consider myself a TexMex snob. Austin is/was really the home of great TexMex. I complained for years about the Yankee Texas Mexican food up here. It's gotten much better in the last decade but it was pretty bad when we moved here 26 years ago.

We were stationed in Illinois for a couple of years - about an hour north of St. Louis. Our home there didn't have a/c. It did get a little miserable during the day but was always delightful at night. I often turned on the furnace fan (furnace located in the unfinished basement) and blew it through the house on hot days. It smelled mildewy but was pretty cool. Always needed a blanket at night if the windows were open. It's so lovely having cool nights. I still miss those.

We had an attic fan installed when we built this house 4 and a half years ago. It gets a good workout spring and fall and some days in the winter. I love open windows too...............'cept when there are skunks around or someone is burning hay rolls.

Yeah, I'm sure Colorado isn't the best location for seafood. We were stationed in Tampa Fla. for 18 months. First place I've ever lived with really fresh seafood. Even Red Lobster offered fresh seafood.

tx3653

Postby tx3653 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:19 pm

Castle Doctrine wrote:It is in the mid-60s here at the moment. Humidity is around 45%. We had a little rain yesterday (as usual).

I'm sitting at my kitchen table with a cup of Sumatran coffee (fresh ground) enjoying the view of the Front Range and Pikes Peak. It isn't quite as clear as normal...still some smoke from up North. Even though it may get into the 80s today...I still feel sorry for you folks down there in Hell's boot camp.

We lived in Denver for 9 yrs. Could see Pikes Peak from our deck. Was nice in the Summer but Summer was way too short. Couldn't stand the snow & cold. Ice & snow somewhere in the yard for 9 months a year. Hated it. Got a chance to transfer to Dallas and jumped at it. I like hot, dry days. Now our kids, grandkids and great grandson are all here so guess where we are stuck. Never want to cross the CO state line again!!!

Castle Doctrine

Postby Castle Doctrine » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:22 pm

tx3653 wrote:
Castle Doctrine wrote:It is in the mid-60s here at the moment. Humidity is around 45%. We had a little rain yesterday (as usual).

We lived in Denver for 9 yrs. Could see Pikes Peak from our deck. Was nice in the Summer but Summer was way too short. Couldn't stand the snow & cold. Ice & snow somewhere in the yard for 9 months a year. Hated it. Got a chance to transfer to Dallas and jumped at it. I like hot, dry days. Now our kids, grandkids and great grandson are all here so guess where we are stuck. Never want to cross the CO state line again!!!

I feel much the same way about Texas...love to see it in my rearview mirror. But, have to go cause some kids are still there...but we are working on it.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:44 pm

Castle Doctrine wrote:
tx3653 wrote: Never want to cross the CO state line again!!!

I feel much the same way about Texas...love to see it in my rearview mirror. But, have to go cause some kids are still there...but we are working on it.

That's exactly how I feel about Florida! Panhandle might not be so bad, it's a nice place to visit, and MacDill was a great base. BUT living there was the pits.

Guess that's why there are 50 states. Something for everyone. :D

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:23 am

'Nother morning with decent breeze though the humidity is high. I hear, from Brad Barton, that the breeze will come to an end soon as temps. continue to rise. Must be mid July in Texas. :(

You outside, Grouchy?

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:30 am

tx3653 wrote:

I'd never make it full time in Colorado either. I would love to live on the gulf coast some day.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:24 am

crocmommy wrote:I'd never make it full time in Colorado either. I would love to live on the gulf coast some day.

Heck, you'd die of frostbite the first 40 degree day. ;)

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:34 am

millergrovesue wrote:'Nother morning with decent breeze though the humidity is high. I hear, from Brad Barton, that the breeze will come to an end soon as temps. continue to rise. Must be mid July in Texas. :(

You outside, Grouchy?

The girls and I were outside real early.
I had to be in Waxahachie early for a little procedure. One of the polyps looks pre-cancerous. Sent it off to lab. Will see him again on Wednesday. Keep your fingers crossed.

millergrovesue

Postby millergrovesue » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:38 am

grouchy wrote:The girls and I were outside real early.
I had to be in Waxahachie early for a little procedure. One of the polyps looks pre-cancerous. Sent it off to lab. Will see him again on Wednesday. Keep your fingers crossed.

Will do.

Return to “Your first forum”