Channel 8 news on Thursday Nigh

Description of your first forum.
crocmommy

Channel 8 news on Thursday Nigh

Postby crocmommy » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:19 pm

Did anyone see this last night??

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/verify/v ... /353597025

It's a segment Channel 8 news did called Verify This. It went on FOREVER. The main thing it got me to thinking about is why am I still watching this and what other local news should I start thinking about watching. I still prefer to watch local news to see objective reports about what is going on mostly in my community and also nationally. I do not want to be preached to about what I should think in a 30 min newscast. There needs to be a separate show for this. My husband thought it was for ratings and money. I don't see that their target audience who watches the news would want this but maybe I'm wrong? I won't be watching these anymore when they come on....

BigTex

Re: Channel 8 news on Thursday Nigh

Postby BigTex » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:31 pm

I didn't watch it because I rarely watch any of the local TV newscasts anymore. Just like with their national and cable counterparts, they're job has become engaging you on an emotional level.

And since it's November, I'll put this in the category of a sweeps stunt.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:16 pm

BigTex wrote:I didn't watch it because I rarely watch any of the local TV newscasts anymore. Just like with their national and cable counterparts, they're job has become engaging you on an emotional level.

I really want to know what is happening locally so very important to see the local news to me. Apparently, I may no longer be Channel 8 news' target audience. Too bad, I record their news to be sure I can watch it but that may change to Channel 4.

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:26 pm

crocmommy wrote:
BigTex wrote:I didn't watch it because I rarely watch any of the local TV newscasts anymore. Just like with their national and cable counterparts, they're job has become engaging you on an emotional level.

I really want to know what is happening locally so very important to see the local news to me. Apparently, I may no longer be Channel 8 news' target audience. Too bad, I record their news to be sure I can watch it but that may change to Channel 4.

I prefer Channel 11.

RaisinCain

Postby RaisinCain » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:36 pm

I saw that "Verify this" once; ridiculous and completely non-newsworthy. It was a 5-min segment on whether this single mother would let her son play football next year, when he was 12. Just a complete and utter waste of time.

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:54 pm

RaisinCain wrote:I saw that "Verify this" once; ridiculous and completely non-newsworthy. It was a 5-min segment on whether this single mother would let her son play football next year, when he was 12. Just a complete and utter waste of time.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who has seen this preachy crap. Five minutes is an eternity in a local newscast for one whole segment. I did however enjoy their reporting on the problems with CPS recently. That is what needs to be covered.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:46 pm

I call BS when they whine they've only got XX minutes to get everything in - and then spend 5 minutes on stuff like this. And reading viewer tweets.

LibraryLady2

Postby LibraryLady2 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:36 pm

RaisinCain wrote:I saw that "Verify this" once; ridiculous and completely non-newsworthy. It was a 5-min segment on whether this single mother would let her son play football next year, when he was 12. Just a complete and utter waste of time.

Highly agree with this analysis.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” -- Jojen Reed

LibraryLady2

Postby LibraryLady2 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:38 pm

..and I could do without all the banter between the news crew.

I came over to hear NEWS.......not tweets, not "social media" not banter---NEWS!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” -- Jojen Reed

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:45 pm

LibraryLady2 wrote:..and I could do without all the banter between the news crew.

I came over to hear NEWS.......not tweets, not "social media" not banter---NEWS!

I believe the response you and I would both get is that we're not in the demographic.

grouchy

Postby grouchy » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:20 pm

Is that another way of saying we are too old?

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:51 pm

I think they are fooling themselves that young money is watching local TV news, but they do what the consultants tell them.

LibraryLady2

Postby LibraryLady2 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:05 pm

Yes, I'm old.
Yes, I'm not the demographic.
But, it is the old ones who watch local TV for news--young ones are getting the news from the cell phone.

Additionally, I think I have more disposable income than the people under age 50---but perhaps I'm fooling myself.

BigTex

Postby BigTex » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:59 pm

I don't watch local news enough to know who the sponsors are, but pay attention to what's advertised and that will tell you who they think their audience is.

Return to “Your first forum”