25 unique sculptures/statures from around the world

Description of your first forum.
LibraryLady

25 unique sculptures/statures from around the world

Postby LibraryLady » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:24 am

I need to look up the back story on a couple of these.

http://www.boredpanda.com/worlds-most-creative-statues-sculptures/

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

Allen

Re: 25 unique sculptures/statures from around the world

Postby Allen » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:39 pm

Those are pretty good, except for the shoes. Thanks for posting.

FlashM

Postby FlashM » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:17 pm

Did you read LL's explanation of the shoes on Facebook, Allen? Very meaningful, when you know the backstory.
Closing Time. Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

LibraryLady

Postby LibraryLady » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:45 pm

Backstory on some of the sculptures:

The Shoes on the Danube Bank is a memorial in Budapest, Hungary. Conceived by film director Can Togay, it was created by him and the sculptor Gyula Pauer on the bank of the Danube River. It honors the Jews who were killed by fascist Arrow Cross militiamen in Budapest during World War II. They were ordered to take off their shoes, and were shot at the edge of the water so that their bodies fell into the river and were carried away. It represents their shoes left behind on the bank.

The sculpture showing people going into the river in Singapore is actually named The First Generation .

De Vaartkapoen by Tom Franzen stands outside the Communaute Francaise in Molenbeek. It is an irreverent tribute to the anarchaic side of the Bruxeloise. The title is a slang term for people born in Molenbeek; "de vaart" means "the canal" and "kapoen" means cheeky. It shows a young rebel, the Vaartkapoen, reminiscent of a jack-in-the-box, toppling over a policeman, thus overthrowing his authority.

The one in Wroclaw Poland is actually a series of similar statues..coming up from the ground at different parts of the city.

Native Texan

Maya Angelou said:
“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.

Bob Of Burleson

Postby Bob Of Burleson » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:23 pm

This is Alexander Calder's "Eagle," located in Seattle's Olympic Sculpture Park. It used to sit about a block from where I worked in good old Foat Wuth, Texas.

Return to “Your first forum”