My sincere hope/wish for you..

Description of your first forum.
GFB

Postby GFB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:04 pm

..is that you are fully invested up to your comfort level in this greatest of all time stock market rally.
If you’re “woke”..you’re a loser.

rusty

Re: My sincere hope/wish for you..

Postby rusty » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:06 pm

And that you bail before the crash!

GFB

Postby GFB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:29 pm

rusty wrote:And that you bail before the crash!

A really terrible idea..trying to time this market.

ralph

Postby ralph » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:38 pm

GFB wrote:

-------------------------- i think thats true , little i know of this stuff is that trying to time the market is how a person loses .

GFB

Postby GFB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:46 pm

ralph wrote:
GFB wrote:

-------------------------- i think thats true , little i know of this stuff is that trying to time the market is how a person loses .

Pretty much anyone you know that got hurt badly in 2008/2009, did it to themselves by trying to time the market.

The only other people that may have gotten hurt, did so by not being properly diversified..as in..too much in one stock..and that stock never recovered, when the market DID.

rusty

Postby rusty » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:52 pm

GFB wrote:
ralph wrote:
GFB wrote:

Pretty much anyone you know that got hurt badly in 2008/2009, did it to themselves by trying to time the market.

The only other people that may have gotten hurt, did so by not being properly diversified..as in..too much in one stock..and that stock never recovered, when the market DID.

Really? How would diversification helped them in 2003 and again in 2008?

GFB

Postby GFB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:59 pm

rusty wrote:
GFB wrote:
ralph wrote:-------------------------- i think thats true , little i know of this stuff is that trying to time the market is how a person loses .

Really? How would diversification helped them in 2003 and again in 2008?

Because in both cases the market not only recovered, it took off, and essentially still is on that same trajectory.

Anyone that was patient through all that, has been handsomely rewarded..especially this year.

rusty

Postby rusty » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:13 pm

GFB wrote:
ralph wrote:
GFB wrote:

You're saying the market took off from 2000 through 2009? It was historically the worst decade ever.

GFB

Postby GFB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:31 pm

rusty wrote:
GFB wrote:
ralph wrote:-------------------------- i think thats true , little i know of this stuff is that trying to time the market is how a person loses .

You're saying the market took off from 2000 through 2009? It was historically the worst decade ever.

Yeah..keep moving the goal post..but yes..even if you're timing was the worst possible..jumping in in 2000..when the high of the Dow was about 12,000..you're a genius and have lived through one of the greatest financial times in your life.

Want to move it some more..?

GFB

Postby GFB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:42 pm

Dow at 25,574 today

Everyone is doing wonderful..and it will continue..all you have to do is hang in there.

Yes, there will be a sizable correction this year..it's already overdue.

rusty

Postby rusty » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:43 pm

GFB wrote:
rusty wrote:
GFB wrote:

Yeah..keep moving the goal post..but yes..even if you're timing was the worst possible..jumping in in 2000..when the high of the Dow was about 12,000..you're a genius and have lived through one of the greatest financial times in your life.

You're talking in circles. The entire decade sucked. You can't pretty it up.

GFB

Postby GFB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:59 pm

rusty wrote:
GFB wrote:
rusty wrote:

You cherry picked 2003 and 2008.

I said anyone that hung on through there looks like a genius.

Then you cherry picked 2000 and 2009.

Anyone that hung in or even invested at a bad time..looks like a genius.

Now, you’re narrowing it to a “decade.”

We’re back to what I said originally..you only got hurt if you tried to time the market.

Now you are designating 2010 as a place I guess you or someone you know jumped..yes, that was s dumb idea..but the cherry picked dates of 2001 to 2010,.the decade you speak of..is meaningless for all of us that didn’t panic out like I guess you did.

rusty

Postby rusty » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:41 pm

:roll: I
GFB wrote:
rusty wrote:
GFB wrote:

We’re back to what I said originally..you only got hurt if you tried to time the market.

Now you are designating 2010 as a place I guess you or someone you know jumped..yes, that was s dumb idea..but the cherry picked dates of 2001 to 2010,.the decade you speak of..is meaningless for all of us that didn’t panic out like I guess you did.

Bull shit. I mentioned 2003 and 2008 specifically because they were spectacularly bad. But, as you know, I was generally talking about the entire decade. In fact you acknowledged that, and then said I had "narrowed it down" to a decade. Narrowed it down? Are you stoned?

GFB

Postby GFB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:46 pm

rusty wrote::roll: I
GFB wrote:
rusty wrote:

Bull shit. I mentioned 2003 and 2008 specifically because they were spectacularly bad. But, as you know, I was generally talking about the entire decade. In fact you acknowledged that, and then said I had "narrowed it down" to a decade. Narrowed it down? Are you stoned?

[/quote]You narrowed it down to various years on a thread about staying fully invested all of one’s life and not panicking out..your retorts are all..”what about those that panicked out”..as some kind of argument to make against investing.

Give it up..you look foolish.

GFB

Postby GFB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:50 pm

We’ll start again lest this POS throws everyone off with stupid hypotheticals that the thread recommends against partaking in.

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:04 pm

..is that you are fully invested up to your comfort level in this greatest of all time stock market rally.

Mark

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:55 pm

I hurt myself pretty bad back in '97 by trying to time a particular stock. Then I hurt myself even more by hanging onto a loser for a decade waiting for it to dig itself out. It never happened.

My 401k money is now spread around pretty well and is doing pretty well.
The United States Constitution is under attack by the Democrat/Communist party.

Back by popular request:

Indeed, "All Leftists lack critical thinking skills."

Indeed, "All Leftist males are pussies."

rusty

Postby rusty » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:02 pm

GFB wrote:We’ll start again lest this POS throws everyone off with stupid hypotheticals that the thread recommends against partaking in.

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:04 pm

Stupid hypotheticals? How about real life?

I didn't make the numbers up. And the reason I picked those two years is because they were an absolute disaster. 40% plus losses each of those two years. The ENTIRE decade didn't make up for those horrible years. Why do you tout the market the way you do? If it sucks it sucks. And it has sucked. Why does it bother you when someone points that out?

crocmommy

Postby crocmommy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:11 pm

My grandmother was invested in TXU stock if anyone here remembers what happened to it. It was worth about $50 bucks a share I think and cratered down to the teens somewhere when they announced they weren't going to pay dividends that year. Her broker should have talked her into buying MORE while it was cheap but instead advised her to sell. Argh. The stock went all the way back up plus some . I estimate that her broker and her son (my dad who also wanted it sold) cost her $40k on that one. Wish I could have just bought it from her but they told me after they did it.

GFB

Postby GFB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:17 pm

crocmommy wrote:My grandmother was invested in TXU stock if anyone here remembers what happened to it. It was worth about $50 bucks a share I think and cratered down to the teens somewhere when they announced they weren't going to pay dividends that year. Her broker should have talked her into buying MORE while it was cheap but instead advised her to sell. Argh. The stock went all the way back up plus some . I estimate that her broker and her son (my dad who also wanted it sold) cost her $40k on that one. Wish I could have just bought it from her but they told me after they did it.

Not sure about your grandmother, but most people shouldn't even be buying individual company stocks.

GFB

Postby GFB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:25 pm

Even in the best weeks, months, years, and decades..some jackass could cherry pick a buy date and a sell date in which you would have done poorly.

That's why you don't try to time the market..you'll end up joining the jackasses.

Return to “Your first forum”